Monday, March 09, 2009

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I have been looking into buying a powerchair. A wheelchair with electric power that I control myself. NOT a mobility scooter but a regular wheelchair with power. I don't like the scooters and they are not suitable for when we go into restaurants etc.

They are expensive. At present we use an ordinary wheelchair with large wheels that I can control myself. However, not when I am tired and also I now have painful shoulders, which hurt just getting dressed. So using this chair for long periods is not on and then John pushes me which he says is no hassle and not a chore or heavy work. However, I don't like it. Also if we go up an incline, I have to get out and walk and inclines are more painful for me.

I have wondered about the cost for a person who is not paralysed but John thinks that is a silly thing to think of.

The truth is if I go shopping, or out anywhere, I need a wheelchair. I can't walk for long and beside the pain, I get tired very quickly. Even when medicated to the hilt.

The convenience of the present chair is that it is easily put in and out of the car. It is easily moved empty and folded. It is easy to for me to get out and have it folded up when going into places that are not accessible but don't have a load of steps.

The power versions are not so easily dismissed. Like in some restaurants, tho it is easier for me to sit in my chair, it isn't possible so the chair is folded and the staff put it out of the way. Not that easy with a powerchair, if at all possible.

I know that a powerchair would definitely get used but I am wondering if in the long run it will cause more problems than it solves. Also, from the limited looking I have done, it seems the power packs are about 35kg(77lbs) and that is very heavy for John to lift in and out of the car.

Perhaps all these concerns will be addressed by the people at the mobility centre.


I have only just started to feel better. My gut is still sore and I still have the runs. I am really pissed off that one upset ruins 4 dyas of my life. I have had calls from people who were concerned about how ill I looked at Cruft's. Word got around about what happened and all seem to be of the same opinion that those people were vile and out of order. Yet there is this part of me that thinks it was nothing really and certainly shouldn't have had this affect on me. It has though and that is that. I am back at the pool in the morning if my gut allows it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I wouldn't discount it until I met with the seller. I'll be interested to hear what you learn. If my ankle keeps up the way it is, I'll be doing something myself in the future.

Yarnhog said...

Well, I don't know how things work in the U.K., but here in the U.S., power chairs are usually covered by state insurance for people who are disabled. Most people seem to transport them on carriers mounted on the backs of their cars, not in the car. And thanks to federal legislation, all businesses and public spaces must be wheelchair accessible (wide doorways, ramps, grab bars,etc.) Is there a similar law there?

FuguesStateKnits said...

I think if you could get funding for some way of getting that power pack into the car, you'd have it made. If the powered wheelchair cannot be dismissed, then don't the restaurant owners have to let you simply use it? Seems to me you need this. Maybe the folks at the mobility centre can help out?
Sending good thoughts to you.
hugs,
Joan
PS It WAS a big deal what happened to you - it would have been a really big deal to me or any other reasonable person out there! If anything you deserved MORE consideration from others, not less!!! WTF is WRONG with people??
Colin, just think - if you'd seen this happen to an elderly person, a child, a person in a wheelchair, on crutches, ANYONE, you'd have been OUTRAGED! You have the right to feel that outrage on your own behalf!
OK enough for a PS, eh?
Love you,
J

Anonymous said...

HAve you considered having 2 wheelchairs - keeping one for going to resturants etc.
Also you can get a car/van where you can drive the wheelchair into the back of the car and can actually drive the car while sitting in the wheelchair.
Have a look online at the motobility site (www.motability.co.uk) thats where my hubby got his car. If you get DLA you should get a car/van with the adaptations you need. I know you might have to pay something towards it but if your condition has worsened its worth getting advice
Hope that helps
Pam

Lol said...

I would have been devestated by if that had happened to me and it would have upset me for weeks. You did so well to deal with it the way you did.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What Pam said is interesting. I wonder if there's a site like that in the U.S.. That's really great information.

joannamauselina said...

I think it is a good plan too. You would still have the human-powered one for times that it is more convenient. And what Joan says it totally true, about being outrages on someone else's behalf, so why not your own. That sort of thing has a physical effect on me for days after.

Susan said...

Here in Canada you can be assessed for your mobility and there is a government grant to help with expense. I think you are wise to look into this now. No saying you will need it every day but be kind to yourself. for goodness sake. You will maintain your independence
as well