Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Huh? Duh!

Anonymous wrote:Have you ever spun yarn or dyed any yarn? do you know what is involved with making beautiful yarn from fiber? The price may be steep to you but you get what you pay for.

Clearly this person was too busy being self righteous to bother too much with even the lightest perusal of my blog. Had they been they would have taken note of the fact I am a crafter and as such know of what she/he speaks and therefore would not have asked silly questions of me. No, one doesn't get one pays for! The yarn whilst beautiful in colour was ordinary in fibre content. Having bought loads of 100% Mongolian Cashmere, I know that I have never been charged anywhere near that price and this from a world renowned top spinner of said yarn!

if I were to charge for my labour in designing and knitting when I was earning money from it, I would have starved because no one would have paid it.

In the end we do what we do because we love it, not for riches. My kick comes from the process and knowing that my stuff is worn by people the world over. Don't misunderstand, if I could get £1000 a sweater, i would not turn it down! I wouldn't turn down $90 for my hand dyed by me socks either.

3 comments:

BammerKT said...

As someone who has dyed and spun her own yarn, I would never even THINK of charging $90 for a skein of sock yarn. There is such a thing as charging what the market will bear.

I guess if that seller can find someone that will pay those prices, then more power to him/her. I would never put a pair of $90.00 socks on my feet or inside a pair of shoes!

Anonymous said...

I replied to "Anonymous" in your previous post.

Actually, it doesn't matter if you know what kind of effort it takes to spin and dye fiber. You DO know what kind of effort it takes to knit fabulous sweaters and how little the market will, sometimes, bear for these things. What matters is what the market will bear. If that person can find enough people who think this yarn is better than 95% of the world's sock yarn, so be it. Congratulations to him or her for finding so many people who have that much money to throw around. Of course, there are some people who think their craft is the most magical and wonderful ever made. They'll put it out there at such unbelievable prices and wait for the nuts who'll pay that for it when there are many equally nice yarns at reasonable prices.

That being said, it doesn't take this person any more time to make her yarn and dye the fiber than anyone else. It's hard for me to believe this yarn is that much better than anyone else's.

WereGrouch said...

Actually, $90 for 700+ yds isn't too bad when you consider Vicuna, a bargain at $200 for 250 yds. It amazes me what some people will charge, and others actually buy! On the other hand, I recently saw hand spun yarn with actual gold thread in it. The price was $30 for 250 yds. Go figure.