Tuesday, March 24, 2009

SPANNER IN THE WORKS

We arrived at our hotel in Budapest. It is very nice. The weather here is bitterly cold!

Okay, we got some bad news. Gail, a good friend called to say that we have been burgled. It was done very soon after we left and Gail had been pondering whether or not to tell us. I am glad she did. I wasn't at first but I wasn't thinking clearly. John is very upset about this. This sort of thing panics him. I muts say my reaction was to need to go to the loo very fast. At least I don't feel bloated now.

Anyway, Gail was able to go back to my house and it seems only the TV and my PC monitor were taken. Thank fully niether of my pc towers were removed. So Gail has taken those and the blu ray dvd palyer to her home. I cancelled the cards we left at home as no way of knowing if they were nicked too.

At first I felt intense fear amd so did John and John wanted to go home. I don't think he does now. Trouble is it would take at least 3 days to get back now and I can't do it after drivng the 1350 miles here(house to hotel). Also there is little point. The police and forensics have been and secured the house it seems.

My problem is going to be safety. I have always felt safe in that house. I now don't. I also have suspicions. Someone we know has done this, someone who knew we were going away and no dogs were in the house. This wasn't anyone taking a chance. This was someone who knew there wopuld be no dogs. This makes me feel sick.

My fear has abated. The dogs and we are fine. Only material goods taken. My biggest fear was that my pc's were taken. They are really very personal to me. I have all my photographs on them, my designs. I have no idea if my storage devices were taken or not.

Obviously we will have some serious securing to do when we get home. And I must take steps to secure my personal pc stuff. How I am not sure. The thought of losing all that, my writing, my dog pictures etc is not a happy thought at all. It feels to me like they contian my life. Oh I know I can always get a new one and be online but I can't replace the photgraphs and writings and emails I found special etc.

I need to go now but the hotel has pc access so I can update easily.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh hell, no. I'm so sorry to hear this. I was recently mugged at knifepoint, so I can completely relate to your feelings about your personal security. I always advise people never to post on their blogs about when they're going to be away. Thieves are increasingly turning to blogging and social networking sites to find their next targets. Don't let those thieving scumbags rob you of your holiday, too. Take care.

BammerKT said...

Oh NOOOOOOOO! This is terrible, particularly that you think it may have been someone that knows you. That is even a worse feeling than thinking a stranger did it.

I am so sorry and I do hope you still have a nice holiday in spite of this. I'm sure it won't be the easiest thing in the world, but you deserve it.

Yarnhog said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! That's horrible. We've had our garage burglarized a couple of times and both times I was so angry and outraged that some piece of sh*t would think they could just TAKE what we had. It felt like such a violation. But it is over and done with and there's nothing you can do about it right now, so I hope you and John are able to put it aside and enjoy your vacation.

Lousy b*stards.

Nan said...

Oh Colin! I'm so sorry to hear this. Try not to let it ruin your vacation. Perhaps when you get home, you can look into one of those home alarm systems. But sheesh.......that's just horrible.

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

fairy godmother said...

I am sorry! Someone is a piece of sh** to do this. I would recommend an external hard drive to back up all your photos and writings. It's what my husband uses after losing part of his master's thesis!

Yarnhog said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! That's horrible. We've had our garage burglarized a couple of times and both times I was so angry and outraged that some piece of sh*t would think they could just TAKE what we had. It felt like such a violation. But it is over and done with and there's nothing you can do about it right now, so I hope you and John are able to put it aside and enjoy your vacation.

Lousy b*stards.

steel breeze said...

Don't let the b*st*ds spoil your holiday. As you say, it's just material goods. I'd say you should back your stuff up somehow, dvd perhaps, but I can talk - I don't do it nearly enough either.... It's not funny though, and I know what you mean about not feeling safe, we had our hotel room robbed whilst we were sleeping; couldn't stay in there after that - at least we had the option to leave though. :(

anachronist said...

Oh dear, I can only second what all the others have said already. I know exactly how this feels, not from theft but from our house half way burning down in 1998.
I really hope the one who has done that will be found and told to necver do such a thing again.

Hope the police will take care of everything.

Anonymous said...

Nan's right: get an alarm system pronto upon return. I am so impressed with Gail. What a lovely friend to have. I do not agree that someone who reads your blog has hit the house. It could be a person in the neighborhood who has seen everything leaving for vacation. A blog reader would know to take the computers. Sounds like kids to me, honey. Scoundrels! Relax, you're going to be OK and Gail has nipped this in the bud. Relax...it's over and all that's going to be done is done.

Suna Kendall said...

I am SO glad your computers are all right. My coworker got burgled a few weeks ago and it was similar--sort of random stuff was taken. She surprised them and they ran off--she was so worried they'd come back. I don't think yours will.

I am very, very glad you are continuing on the holiday and enjoying it. The Danube boat trip sounds so lovely.

joannamauselina said...

That's awful! I got burgled once and felt very violated, as well as disgusted that some creeps had been in our home. Fortunately, they took mostly replaceable things except for a little Art Nouveau silver box with all Rebecca's baby teeth in it. What ever would they do with them. The violation is often worse than the loss, which in my case was pretty minimal, and I hope in your case as well.

Anonymous said...

Having your home invaded is always a horrifying experience. I'm so sorry it happened to you!

As to your computer storage, perhaps when you get back it might be worth looking into online storage? With all your traveling, it would give you the advantage of access to your photos, designs, everything from wherever you are. Add a laptop computer---and you'll be unstoppable!

Peaceful blessings to both you and John. I hope the rest of your trip is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Dear Colin + John, so sorry to hear your awful news.
The bastards!
If there is anything that I can help you with from this end please let me know.
Try if you can to enjoy the rest of your trip.
Speak soon
Lots of love
Marilyn xx

P. Harper said...

Sorry to hear about the break-in, but at least they didn't take but two things. We've been burgled twice, once by the paperboy, and the second by someone looking for money because nothing else was taken.

My daughter was less lucky when someone broken into her mobile home and took an air conditioner and a dvd player, as well as her purse she had forgotten to take to work with her. They never did find the culprit.