Sunday, February 08, 2009

WOMEN OF THE CLOTH

I know two women who are ordained Anglican vicars. One of them bought a dog off me and the other one helped me through my period of grief.

Why am I telling you this? Well, quite simply because some people, judging from the spiteful mail I have had, seem to think I am an atheist and anti Xtian. I am neither. I am anti cruel ignorant fundamentalism of any persuasion. Why do I mostly have a pop at the fundy Xtians? Apart from it being deliciously enjoyable, there are just so many of them and they make it so easy! The net is full of them and the knitting lists seem to be populated by millions of them.

C. and B. are what I call truly spiritual people. They are not vicars because their aim is to save their skin. Far from it. They are vicars because they CARE about you and me and they believe that thru their ordination as vicars, they are best placed to serve mankind. Okay, so I don't share the same belief system but so what? Their aim is the same as mine. Their base reason is the same as mine. In other words, they do what they do for selfless reasons, not in order to curry favour with a feared God. I do what I do for the same reasons, though I write certain things on my blog just cos I like to stir the pot and even so, I never write what I don't believe.

Besides, with so much darkness spewing forth out there it can but help to bring even the tiniest bit of light relief.

3 comments:

A :-) said...

Hi Knitman - thanks for stopping by my blog :-) Hope you'll visit again - reading your post made me think immediately of "The Vicar of Dibley." I know it wasn't real,and perhaps your friends wouldn't appreciate being compared to her, but wouldn't it be great if all ministers were like her? Wacky and hilarious, but truly loving and caring. Anyway, thanks for stopping by!

Nan said...

Back when I was an Anglican (Episcopalian on this side of the pond), I originally had some strong opinions about women priests. That was until I met one. She was everything a priest should be and more, nuturing, loving, and caring. In fact, I couldn't imagining her being any else but a priest. Her response to any problematic situation was "what is the loving thing to do?" Pretty sound approach, I thought.

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin-what kind and sensible words.
Three of the most decent,loving, compassionate and simply wonderful caring human beings that I have ever met were Anglican priests.
I really have to remind myself about them when I find myself becoming angry and frustrated by dreadful people who just happen to call themselves Christians.
Am so glad you enjoyed your visit to the pool-if the bully is really stressed then hopefully she will have enough self-awareness to think about how her behaviour is contributing to that stress and her unhappiness-shan't hold my breath though!