Thursday, October 15, 2009

SORTED

I have arranged for a tax accountant to deal with the problems. She will also take care of the yearly tax stuff from now on. She will now liaise with the IRS and deal with it all. I felt as soon as I started to speak with her that she was the right one. She also told me that many of her clients are wealthy and or brilliant but who also get themselves into this muddle because they freak at anything to do with 'officialdom'.

I still feeling shocked and stunned. I don't understand how anyone could put their home and worldly goods at risk by ignoring letters, or rather not even opening them.

I have known for ages that something wasn't right but every time I asked I was told nothing was going on other than work stress.

I am the one in charge of all the money accounts so I know there are no nasty surprises there.

I think it will take some time to adjust to this new state of affairs. Why? Because what i thought was, isn't. It is different to the way I thought. No it isn't a disaster but it will still take time to adjust to this new dynamic.

7 comments:

Iris said...

I withheld commenting about your previous post because it came as a shock to me. I can imagine what it did to you. In retrospect, many people will deal in exactly this way: ignore the problem as though this will make it go away. As you know, I am guilty of this, but not when it came to finances or the government.

joannamauselina said...

Colin, I have two friends, both brilliant, one sort of rich, and they have both done the same thing. I had to take one to get his car out of impound because he wouldn't open official mail. Don't be too hard on John. I think this whole thing might be a lot more normal than we think - just as your accountant says. I got a rude tax shock a few weeks ago, but not that rude, thank goodness. Joanna

fibreclaireUK said...

Just sending love and want to let you know I am thinking of you.

Brigitte said...

I have to keep Hubby from throwing official letters in the trash unread... recently had to get duplicate proof of insurance for his car as he probably threw the letter in the bin.
I do keep a close eye on finances and had a couple of "incidents", though nothing of the magnitude you experienced.
Yes, I think it is a lot more common than people think.
Brigitte

Herzblut said...

(((((((((hugs)))))))
Claire and Socks, last cat of three
xxxxx

LizzieK8 said...

"I don't understand how anyone could put their home and worldly goods at risk by ignoring letters, or rather not even opening them."

Because it can be overwhelming and for some of us, that makes it impossible to deal with. It's hard to explain, but I have been there, done that, and have the t-shirt...several of them in fact. Some things are just too much and because there is no logical explanation of them, we tend to hide the fact we can handle it.

If you've never experienced it, you won't understand, but trust me in that it's not a malicious act, just an inability to deal and ask for help.

Anonymous said...

I think don't be too hard on him is good advice. Each person has their own nut-caseness, this is John's by the seem of things.

From what you have said of him he seems like a good person and is probably feeling wretched and as they say forgiveness is for you as well as the person you forgive.