Tuesday, November 03, 2009

PIGSBUM!

On Saturday, a friend, Leive, visited. We wandered around town and had lunch in a nice Italian restaurant we hadn't really noticed before.

I watched the second series of Dirty Sexy Money, a deliciously awful Dynasty/Dallas type drama. It was cancelled but obviously they didn't know that when the last of series two was made so I am left hanging and having to make up my own endings for the characters. Pigsbum!

I watched The Reader. A very well made and acted film. Melancholy to say the least. I felt such compassion for the lead character, played by Kate Winslet(boy she can act), but do not condone or excuse what she did.

I was bothered by the sexual relationship between a 15 year old boy and a woman in her 30's. Had that been a man and a 15 ryr old girl, or a man and 15 yr old boy or a woman and a 15 yr old girl, I think this film would not have made it to the cinema or at least not without an awful lot of condemnation.

We also watched the BBC series of Emma and Desperate Romantics. The former being a Jane Austen novel adaptation and the latter being about the The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood - artists in Britain in the mid 1800's. Jane Austen was clearly a feminist. Quite something for a woman in her day. Although I thoroughly enjoy watching period dramas, I can't help but be aware of how awful life used to be for all concerned. Not just the lack of modern medicine, gadgets, etc but the rigidity of ideas and especially how children were treated. (Austen was also clearly aware that children thought and felt just like adults did and thus their treatment in her day was abusive. She really was ahead of her time in her thinking.)

I think anyone who thinks life is worse now than it used to be, needs their heads tested or just needs to either remember well or get educated. The song 'One day At A Time' which makes me want to puke, despite the fact I do live my life one day a time, has these lines in it that is just so ignorant and facile! It says:

Do you remember, when you walked among men
Well Jesus you know if you're looking below
It's worse now, than then
Cheating and stealing, violence and crime

I have the urge to machine knit but as yet just haven't found the energy. My new socks, with a yarn I got from Mama Mi on Etsy, are coming along nicely. Very nice colours and distribution there of.

I have been taking my pain meds every 6 hours for the last 5 days and it is working out much better so far. I only take 3 x a day, not 4, but that seems to be okay for now. ( PIGSBUM! Australian exclamation.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

U are just a tonic!!

drjayjr said...

LOL - and here I was all set to go look up "Emma and the Desperate Romantics". Zoot, zoot, et zoot! JR

Yarnhog said...

I always enjoy learning a new obscenity. I may not use them aloud much, but boy-howdy, the dialogue in my head is definitely not kid-friendly!

FuguesStateKnits said...

Pigsbum! I like it:)!
Do you think it will fly in a courtroom! There are many occasions I can think where it might fit.
Well, then again, maybe not.... But I can think it!
:)
Who was the woman who sang One Day at a Time? Christy something????

Anonymous said...

There's also "Harold and Maude." For some reason, the tone of that movie is so very, very odd. Also, you can't beat the Cat Stevens soundtrack.

Glad the meds seem to be working.