Saturday, June 23, 2007

Knitivity Sock

There is a man in Texas named Ray who dyes his own yarn. You can see his stuff here.

This is my first Toe Up sock.

I split the 100gm hank (which was actually 105 gms) into two balls. I knit until I got fed up basically! Seriously, I did 160 rows for the cuff. I normally only do 70 when knitting top down and when knitting top down I get loads left over. This sock weighs in at 50 gms, the heaviest I have knit so far. It fits beautifully.

I did the foot on 2.25mm needles and the garter ribbing on 2mm.

Now, the yarn is soft. Out of all the sock yarns I have used, this is the softest by far.

Ray is very reliable and pleasant to deal with. There was a hiccup with the first order, which was not his fault at all. The post for some reason took a month to get to me. In the meantime he had sent a second hank. Now he doesn't know me from Adam yet he trusted me when i said the yarn had not arrived. Of course I ended up with two hanks, which is fine by me.


The yarn that chose is called Doberman.

Thank you to Lisa who was the first to tell me about the Elizabeth Zimmerman sewn cast off.


And here is my trusted adapted Sherman heel.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great socks! Toe ups are on my to do list for my holiday (6 weeks, so that must succeed). And I subscribed to Knitivity whatever...the man makes beautiful colours (I love colours)

Mary-Lou said...

Nice sock, Colin! I've been finding the toe up socks much more do-able than knit down ones, and I've been using sewn tubular cast off for mine, makes a really nice neat edge. I like that colourway as well.

Monika said...

The yarn looks great! Kind of like your little pup Shilpa. Well done with the sock! I used to do the sewn bind off for my toe ups. It was my favorite for a long time. Now I use a bind off learned from knitting shawls. K2, put them back on your left needle, Knit 2 together, K1, put back the 2 sts on the left needle, K2tog, and so on. It's very stretchy, sometimes I use a needle size bigger to do this, put most of the time it's not necessary.

cindy said...

Beautiful knitting tension, Colin.Like the doggie name for the yarn!

Youe little Shilpa is just too sweet!

Anonymous said...

Nice sock, does it have a mate :-) I’m not a fan of EZ so haven’t read the
sewn bind off though I know she gloated over it frequently. I do the
stretchy bind-off that many others on the list do and so far, no problems
(except when I forget how to do it, not that it’s hard, it’s just a brain
problem). I taught another person to do socks yesterday :-) another
convert, always good for the rest of us. She’s doing her first sock with
Trekking ProNatura we ordered together from Astrid.

Anonymous said...

i just love your socks. i got stuck in my ways making mine with same old heel same old way and your heels always call out to me

GIVE IT A TRY! one of these days that call is gonna grab my needles and force me to try it your way. want to give us a good write up of your favorite heel? start to finish.

Melinda said...

Nice man sock yarn! He has a couple of colors my hubby would like. I will have to buy from him next time I make hubby socks. =) I might even make myself some out of that yarn your made yourself its nice. I actually perfer the toe up method. My toes come out better for some reason.

Raytheist said...

Woo-hoooo! The sock is BEAUTIFUL!
And thanks for the promo, too! The Doberman colorway is quite popular (already had to do a 3d batch!); I hope it stays so in the new sock yarns.

Sharon in Bishop said...

Colin, how hard was the toe up method you used? Can you share the pattern with me? I haven't tried toe-ups yet, but want to try them for the next socks I do for 'me'. Thanks! Sharon

Anonymous said...

Really good job!! Love the colors too.

Sheila said...

Colin, You knit the best heels. Great job. I will have to check out the Texans yarns.

Anonymous said...

Wow! This sock rocks big time! I love that calm and warm colorway, and yay for you to knit up toe up socks so beautifully! I can't believe it, but I've never tried toe up socks before though I have a lot of great patterns here - never dared the casting-on-methods, I'm afraid! Thus I'm all the more impressed by yours, as well as that Sherman heel - looks perfect to me! Great job, Colin, congrats!

Anonymous said...

I love it! It's beautiful! I'm inspired!

Dianna

Dlhaymark said...

Great Sock, Colin! I love the colorway. I have been eyeing Ray's yarns...they are gorgeous.

I have printed your heel and stuck it in my knit journal to try!

Your babies are just too cute!

Debbie