Sunday, June 17, 2007

Angels of The North

This sculpture is called The Angel Of The North. It caused much controversy a few years ago when it was erected in the North East alongside the A1 trunk road. I have always rather liked it in pictures. Seeing it 'in the flesh' is even better. I am not sure how to describe how I feel when i see it. Awe struck maybe. I took these too pictures from a car moving fast. Not bad. I hasten to add that I was not driving.

This is Olwen. I 'know' Olwen from the knitting lists. I met her yesterday in her house. I met someone as nuts about knitting as me! She has many machines and loads and loads of yarn-enough for a shop. Just like me!

Olwen also hand knits.

Her home is amazing. Built around 1890 and with the original features. On 3 floors and jam packed with her life-books,ornaments,photo's, pictures, yarn, etc. I would love to have stayed ages and been really nosy and could easily have nosed for weeks!

I got Olwen to sit at the machine and ignore the camera. It worked well I think.

Thank you very much Olwen. You made me feel welcome. I was very pleased to meet you.

15 comments:

Allen Duhon said...

It is too cool to put a face to the emails I see every day. Thanks for posting the picture and telling us about your trip to visit Olwen.
Allen Duhon

Allen Duhon said...

It was so nice to be able to put a face to all the emails I get from the UK. Thanks for taking the time to go and visit and telling us about your trip.

Anonymous said...

How nice of you, Colin, to introduce us to Olwen via picture. She has been such a lovely friend to all of us. Your5 thoughtfulness is appreciated.

Anonymous said...

It is so exciting to have a lovely picture to go with the name. Thank you
Colin and a big THANK YOU to Olwen for all you do!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the pix, Colin! Now I can picture Olwen when I read her
posts.:) --Pat & Paws

Anonymous said...

Always great to put a face with a name! Thanks, Colin.

Picnicfan said...

Thank you, Colin, for telling us about your visit to Olwen and for posting the photo. It's always good to see photos of knitting friends especially at their machines.

Sheila said...

It's good to hear someone else has enough yarn to fill a shop! I laugh to myself when I see a single picture of "stash" on the internet! Thanks for the picture of Olwen. It's good to find a kindred spirit.

Anonymous said...

It was a pleasure to meet Olwen!
I think only knitters can make you feel comfortable.... :-)

Loulou (Calabria, IT)

Anonymous said...

When Frank and I had the chance to visit England several years ago, we were able to meet Colin. He allowed me to look over all his yarns and his knitting machines. We spent a wonderful day yarn shopping, too. It is always a nice thing to put faces and names together, and now we also get to meet Olwen.

Thanks, Colin!

Anonymous said...

Finally, met (in picture) the lady who is always willing to help with
all machine related queries I had (or will have). Olwen was so patient
with me when I was trying to learn the Brother PPD.

Colin, thank you for sharing with us!!! I hope I'll have the
opportunity to meet her, you (and the many other members of
KMaholics)!!!

Naomi
Brussels, BE

Anonymous said...

Hi Olwin
loved seeing your photo, and putting a face to the many emails and the help,
also thanks to Colin
hope he has a good show with his dogs.
Judith

Anonymous said...

Thanks Colin.

I always wondered who was behind the wealth of knowledge bearing the name
Olwen. Now we know.

Thanks again for your thoughtfulness in taking the picture and posting it.
And thanks Olwen for allowing him to do so.

Mae in Canada

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin,

Thanks so much for taking Olwen's picture and posting it to your Blog. It's
always wonderful to place a face with the people who we get to know in our
MK circle of friends. Sounds like you had a wonderful time visiting with
her, and she in return really enjoyed your stopping by. Also
congratulations on your babies placing so well in the dog show. You should
really be proud of yourself. Ileen

DJ said...

Oh, how nice. I am glad to see a pic of someone from one of the MK lists. Makes her more 'real' in my mind. Thanks.
DJ in SW MI