Friday, June 08, 2007

Flashback

Wow! That took me by surprise.

I had dragged myself out of bed, let the dogs out, fed the dogs, got my coffee and came up here to the PC. I needed to go to the bathroom. On the way, I got a sharp flash of pain in my right side.

The next thing I knew I was back reliving a particularly horrid and vivid scene from my childhood. For a few moments I thought I was going to collapse. I felt the grief and pain rise up to swamp me. It then all settled down again and that was that.

It doesn't matter how long ago it was, how well and together and happy one is now, this stuff still happens!

Yes, it happens less frequently, less severely but it still happens.

The worst is when one is out - at the shops, the pool, a dog show....

Gosh it just dawned on me....the pool.....no wonder I have had troubled sleep and nightmares this last week since I started swimming again....I hadn't given it any conscious thought....but the pool will bring stuff up for me. My flashback had nothing to do with the pool, in fact there is no trauma related to the pool but the swimming and pools are very much a part of my past. So my mind has been going back just because of the link between the pool and my memories.

No comments: