Sunday, November 04, 2007

Better Days

Tuesday was the last time I cried. Wednesday and Thursday were good days. I still had the stomach pain and shoulder pain but less so and it didn't bother me. Friday was okay till the evening when I thought I was going to be overwhelmed again.

Now yesterday was the best day for weeks. I felt almost normal. My legs were sore, hips and back. Phew, good to be back to normal!

My mood is better, the fear has all but gone. I really feel I made my way though the stuff I needed to.

I am still somewhat in shock about it all. I did not see the last two months coming at all and this last month of terror and grief I really did not expect.

Yet, looking back over the last 15 mths I can see how it was building up and how buried issues were being awakened.

It started last August when we returned early from our break to discover that my 'close friend' was a con artist and not a friend at all. THAT destroyed what little trust I had managed to build. I withdrew from the world then but not consciously. I see now that I spent my time mainly on my own or with John and interacted as little as possible with others.

Then I came across that person who made me feel like the abused little boy I had been and who looked at me, and spoke to me, and treated me, as if I were very much lacking.

So this combination is what broke the little vault I had hidden my stuff in.

What have I learned?

THAT IT WAS NOT MY FAULT!!!!! Really, it had nothing to do with me at all. I WAS NOT ABUSED BECAUSE I WAS ME.

I was abused because they were them.

I have learned that I am loved. I have learned that I deserve to be. I have learned I do not have to be perfect. I have learned that I am not in danger because I am not perfect. I have learned I have value. I have learned that I, me, have been of use to others, that I have given to others. That I have helped others.

I feel excited and can feel that I am growing wings and that freedom is coming.

I feel that I no longer carry such an enormously heavy burden and now that at almost 49 it has been removed, it will take some time for my body and my soul to adjust.

You perhaps have no idea how much your support has meant to me. Your amazing comments, your emails. The mere fact you even bothered to read and more so to offer such loving kindness. THAT has really hit home. To be frank, at first, I was suspicious. I thought there must be some trick or that you were round the twist or in one way or other trying to undermine me. That is what I was used to.

You have shown me that there is love and kindness and GOOD people out there.

I thank you all so much. You really have helped to save a life. Seriously, without the daily support I received, I am not at all sure I would have survived this journey. It was so bad I did start to think that death could not be worse. What you have done will never be forgotten Not by me and not by the Powers that be.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember, my friend, there are people out there, some of whom you have never met, who love you because we see the fine person you are. We see this through your own kindness to other people and in the way you are such a forgiving and gentle person. If any of us helped you in some small way, we are pleased. However, it is my firm belief that, by laying your soul bare for us to read, you have helped many more in ways you will never know.

Anonymous said...

BRAVO, Colin!

What a joy to read your entry today!

And you know what? We're all STILL here.

Enthusiastic, joy-filled hugs and peaceful blessings,

Terri

Anonymous said...

Colin, you rock!

Herzblut said...

"it was not because I am me, it was because they are them"......

that is such a help to me: I'm right in the midst of a very disturbing and difficult situation, family/emotional, involving cutting ties with a close family member, and this helped me greatly, as has much of what you've written.

so you see, you are helping me a lot....and also gave me the confidence to start my own blog :)

Anonymous said...

So glad to read your post today, how positive. I am really happy for you.

AR said...

What a wonderful post. :)

People care and support you in many ways just because you are 'you'.
And I am sure that in laying bare your feelings and fears you too have helped others.
Please continue with this 'upward' trend.

Blessings

AR

FuguesStateKnits said...

Wow - when the student is ready, the teacher appears as they say! You have learned extremely important life lessons that many never learn.
Hats off to you!
Joan
PS and I agree, you have helped so many more through opening up here than you can ever imagine. Amazing, nay miraculous!

JeanTownsend said...

you are very much wanted and loved. your strength helps me make it through rough times. you are an inspiration to many of us. you are not alone. there are others of us that suffered but don't know how to express it. it stays all bottled up and painful. you let it out of the bottle and it is a shared pain. the healing can begin. thank you for helping us through it too. you lead the way. surely i am grateful you have the courage to say stuff that needs to be said.

Anonymous said...

So very glad to hear you are feeling better. I hope that you will continue to improve and that the release of the enormous weight will really change your life. It is hard to know how you dragged all that everywhere with you (visions of Marley here - but you did NOT forge those chains, they were thrust upon you!).
Glad that we could be here to listen and offer what support that we could. I know many of us wish we were geographically close enough to give you a phyical hug!

fibreclaireUK said...

I'm still here - for the good days as well as the bad. I have learned to respect and love you. I admire your open ness and honesty and courage.

Thankyou for sharing your pain as well as happiness - it has helped me to reslve things too.

Peace and blessings and sunshine to you and John.

Unknown said...

I join with the others in expressing how wonderful it is to come on here and see this post from you. I know that words can't express the relief you feel at the easing of your fear and I hope that with each day your mood and esteem and strength continue to grow. Hugs!

T said...

Dammit Colin - You made me cry again! (In a good way, but still I hate being such a sissy.) Hooray! Always, always know that there are people who care about how you are and are glad for your victories.

Anonymous said...

Colin -

This post was a joy to read. I am so happy for you and those positive thoughts are still coming your way!!

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Colin,

It is so good to know that you are mainly through it. As to helping, you help us as much as we may help you. We're all in this together, and only by reaching out to each other do we make it.

And thanks for the dog pictures. Good thing you are across the big pond, or I would be sorely tempted away from my wolfhounds.

Much love, and may the serenity last.