Thursday, September 13, 2007

Odds and Sods


SWIMMING

I really had to force myself to go this morning and it took about 10 lengths before it stopped hurting. I won't be able to get to the pool now until Sunday, hence making myself go today. Swimming in the early morning is proving much better than last thing in the day. My BP today was 116/56 with a pulse of 53. Not bad going.

DOG SHOW

I have a dog show tomorrow, 154 miles away at Newby Hall. Only Micah is going. Shameless is a 'gawky teenager' at 9mths and she just had her first season so she is all over the place.

ATHEISM

Many people wrongly assume I am an atheist. I am not. Or rather I might be. Nothing is that simple. I don't know one way or the other and whilst I can suffer from arrogance just like anyone else, my arrogance does not extend to saying I know there is a God or that there isn't one.

Of one thing I am almost certain - we all survive physical death.

I often wish it were not so. I was very very angry and more than a little afraid when I had the experience which indicated strongly that physical death was not the extinguishing of self. Since that time I have had many many more experiences, shared with and experienced by John, which all indicate the same thing. Both of us have thought our way around this, through it, dismissed it, researched it, then experienced it over and over till we cannot find another explanation for it other than we do indeed survive physical death.

And that the surviving of death has nothing whatever to do with what we believe.


Those who see me as being anti religion are correct. I think religion is pernicious, an evil force upon the psyche of humankind. Those who argue that our values and morals come from religion are mistaken, don't understand humankind or it's history and clearly do not see what is around them.

So the above is my answer to those who have not been able to get their head around what I believe in.

I believe in Good, the power of Goodness. I believe we are all connected, we all come from the same source. If you like, we are all drops of water and the Ocean is our source and our power. I believe we are each personally responsible for ourselves, that we each reap the results of our beliefs and actions-positively and negatively. No one pays for us. That it takes much much more than is possible in even the longest lifetime to achieve wholeness. That growth is continuous, even after we leave our bodies.

I don't believe in gurus, gods, miracle workers, leaders, clerics. I do not follow anyone. I live according to my own conscience, which is the only thing I can do. It is also the only thing you can do, even if you think you are living by a code written down elsewhere. You live according to your conscience regardless. Maybe not well, or happily, and even maybe in a way that damages others, but it is still yours.

So are we clear now? ;-)




8 comments:

Suna Kendall said...

Dang, Colin. We certainly share very similar spiritual views and have had a similar path toward getting there, for two people from different cultures! I would certainly prefer atheism, but like you have had these experiences that keep pointing to some spark that continues beyond physical death. Things I can't rationalize away, even if I'd prefer to.

So, I'm stuck being a confused pagan (for the connection to my past) Unitarian (for the community) agnostic. That is way harder to explain to folks...

Yarnhog said...

My beliefs are much the same as yours. My father was raised Muslim, my mother Catholic, and my husband Jewish. They are all good people. I am convinced that we live on after physical death, and I may believe in God, but I consider religion to be a human construct, designed by humans to control other humans. In my opinion, organized religion has nothing to do with God, and is the source of most of the evil in the world.

Unknown said...

You, in admitting to a spiritual view, have a religion. It may not be a conventional religion or be categorized in any fashion but, as a set of beliefs, can be called a religion.

I was raised a Congregationalist (now United Church of Christ) and a lot of the beliefs I was raised with, I still have.

I also have new beliefs resulting from my experiences in life. Belief in something past death of this body is required by me to maintain some logic in the life processes.

Unknown said...

Gail_I disagree. You cannot call what I believe religion. I have no dogma or creed and what I believe changes over time. There is nothing in what I believe that could be set down and followed for any substantial length of time. I find I only have to look back over a 12 month period to note how I have changed in my views. Long may it be so.

Sheila said...

Boy, Colin, you sure have posted a lot since I checked in last week. I am a spiritual person who doesn't identify with a major religion. Living in Southern Utah where religion is everywhere, sometimes it is difficult to get away from the discussion. I don't attend church but believe in an afterlife. I have raised my daughters to treat people how they would like to be treated. And this is how I try to live my life.

Anonymous said...

I am "one of those," too. It seems to me that organized religions, at least those of today, exist in order to impose a set of man made "rules" on believers and to pass judgment on others. It's interesting that nearly all of the founders or inspirations for organized religions did NOT pass judgment on those with differing beliefs.

Anonymous said...

Your concise statement rings true with me, Colin. I'm sure we're all on a journey, I think God wants us to be growing more like ourselves step by step. Religions are designed by humans, that's why they've done the horrors they have--but I work really hard to make sure everyone in the congregation gets to express their own beliefs and opinions. I've seen a church can be empowering, rather than controlling. Sorry about the ad for the United Church of Canada, but I'm a lurker from socknitters and I have to stay away from the needles for a week! Dr's orders, so I have only the computer to divert me.

Anonymous said...

Dear Colin,

For what it's worth, the consensus of our household is that you stated your views on spirituality, life, the universe, and everything (the quote acknowledged) better than we could have. Thanks! It's always nice to know that others share one's perspective.

Kiri