Sunday, September 02, 2007

The Andersson Heel

Okay here it is. This just an explanation of the heel, not a whole sock pattern. That you can do for yourself.

Lets assume you have 72sts all told for your sock, split into two. (if you insist with knitting with the hedgehog, you'll have to work it out over 3 or 4 needles yourself.)

You are knitting toe up. You want to increase a total of 30sts (the amount that suits my instep)on the 36sts that make the sole. You also want the increasing to be completed just about 1/2 to an inch from the end of your foot. My gauge was 13 RPI and I started by increases on row 81 and finished on row 109. (I do not count my cast on and toe increase rows). (You must be prepared to frog so that the you ge the heel to be right for your foot length)

So on row 81 I increased every other row on both sides of the sole, 1 stitch in. When I had the required number of stitches, I knit another row and then across the instep stitches.

Now I am ready to make the heel.

The heel middle needs to be 34sts. I increased 15 sts either side of the 36sts I started with.

Subtract 34sts from 66sts which leaves with 32 sts. Divide the 32sts by 2 = 16 sts Add to the 34 sts. I need to knit 50sts, SSK and turn. Sl1, Purl until I have 16 sts left, then P2tog and turn. Sl1 and knit to stiche before gap. SSK, turn. Sl1 and purl to 1 st shy of gap, P2tog and turn

I Just kept doing this until I had worked all sts. I will have 36sts left on my needle.

I then just continue in the round.

Note: there were gaps when I rejoined to knit in the round. I closed them my way and you can close them the way you do.

If your sock was 60sts all told, you'd 30sts for your sole, you may increase to 50sts. In which case you'd need 28 ts for you middle heel, divide what is left by 2, in this case that would leave 16. So you knit 44 sts, SSK, turn etc

Your middle heel is always 2sts less than the total sts for your sole. The amount of stitches you knit before you SSK and turn is that total original sole sts minus 2 plus HALF the sts you increased.

EDIT: I found this fits better when I start the heel shaping 2 inches from foot end. i.e my foot is 10" long and so I start to turn the heel when sock is 8" long.




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, colin, but I'm afraid it is higher mathematics for me (and I do not knit toe up). How do you find those heel patterns? Or better: where? Or do you invent them yourself?

anachronist said...

second comment for today :-)

I like this heel better than my own 'unvention', I have done the increases for the gusset the same as you did, even with the same ratio, and then knit a small cap (the part that would have been created as the turning if the sock was made cuff down)and picked up stitches left and right from it, to then knit the 'flap' up, decreasing one stitch with each row.

Will make your heel version with the next socks I do toe-up.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Colin!



I will take note of your comments for future reference. I will let you know
when I try it out!



Michelle K.

Kathleen Taylor said...

This is fascinating- I'm going to read it through again and see if I can picture it (I almost *see* it now, another try should do the trick). I'm not a toe-up knitter, but I might have to give it a try.

Sandy said...

That is terrific. Thank you so much for sharing your formula. I look forward to trying it on my next pair of socks

Anonymous said...

I have to say, Colin, that this is a gorgeous heel, and very well explained.
I'm just past the toes on a pair of socks for one of my daughters and I'll
be trying your heel for them. :o)

Kelly-Anne

Eileenknits said...

Thanks Colin, I sure do appreciate this so very much.
Eileen

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin

Thanks for sharing your pattern! Plan to start a pair while on holiday next week.
Would you please share your technic for closing the gap when you start in the round again after the heel?

Thanks!
Bridget

lori said...

Love these instructions. I'm going to love them and keep them and call them George.

Linda said...

I need to sit with you to learn this new heel so I'm sticking to my own invention. Love the hat x