Tuesday, October 07, 2008

GAGGIA SYNCHRONY COMPACT

I adore coffee. Real coffee. Decaf or or not. It is my one real luxury in life. So I bought a bean to cup coffee machine.

I bought it from Wheesh.com. I sent it back and it was exchanged. It didn't want to make coffee and frequently just chucked the dry ground coffee into the tray and didn't make a coffee.

The replacement machine did the same thing! So I persevered with it and after making adjustments, it made coffee most of the time. However, it still made a lot of mess. Then the frequency with which it refused to make coffee increased. I phoned Gaggia as it was still under guarantee. They would repair it but I had to foot the bill for the courier service! I was not happy with that at all. I decided to persevere as I was not willing to pay this. I think it ought to be free since it wa shteir shoddy workmanship/design that was at fault.

The next thing that happened is that as soon as the machiens was switched on, it strarted to drip water from the frothing spout. The frothing spout, btw, never did froth!

Okay, so I made sure the spout was over the drip tray when making coffee.

Then the leak spread and was coming out all under the machine. I eventually stopped using it. John said it was not worth sending off as this was the second machine and was worse than the first.

It cost £450 and went to the tip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with this model. I've had mine for 3 or 4 years now, and it has been flawless! Makes a great cup of coffee. Had to switch out the factory wand with a part from another brand, which works much better for steaming (the panarello that comes with it is only good for frothing). Other than that, I couldn't be happier.