Tuesday, June 29, 2010

NOT TRUE!!!!!!

I have just finished watching an episode of Without A Trace.  In the final scene, Jack is upset because he told and abuse victim that her life was never get better.  And he believes that he lied to her, because in his opinion she could never overcome what happened to her.

This is not true!  I know it is not true!

No the damage can never be undone, but one can learn to live with that very well.

I do wish people would stop saying that we who have been abused can never have a good life.  We can have a good life, despite everything given love, support, and hope.

By saying that we can never overcome, we are stripped of hope.  That is far more damaging than anything else that could be put in our way.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Sometimes TV is so wrong. You are an example of having a better life. After all the junk that I went thru as a child...I decided never to do the same to anyone & I hope that I've taught my own children to have compassion, which they do have.

LizzieK8 said...

"Normal" people define life by their own terms. So Jack saying she would never have a normal life means that he couldn't conceive of learning to live with whatever her issues were.

"Normal" people think us autistics should be cured or institutionalized or something because they think if they had to live like us, their quality of life would be awful. They have no concept we have a good quality of life when the Leave Us The F*** Alone. ::ahem::

Normal is a setting on the washing machine.