Thursday, January 14, 2010

THAT WAS EASY

Installing Windows 7 32 bit went easily. No problems at all. It’s working as is everything I had on my pc already. I didn’t go to 64bit because I already know that my Design A Knit software won’t work under that. The one very noticeable difference is that the colours on my screen are much more real. My photographed stuff looks more as they do in real life.

You should have heard me getting up this morning. I sounded like a foul mouthed centenarian. I can't believe how much pain I have today. I didn’t go swimming, but knew last night I would not as I felt very tried upon retiring. It is freezing fog outside. I went to the supermarket last night and I actually walked around it to get my stuff instead of using a chair and only getting a few bits or having a member of staff help me if I needed more than that. I felt quite pleased with myself. I was getting weak by the time i had completed but at least I managed it. I am shocked at how sore I am today though and I think that and the swimming and the dog poo pick up might be the reason. Or it’s just the beginning of a flare. Never can tell and I don’t know why I look for reasons really. I know my body is f*cked and nothing I do or don’t do will make that much difference!

I am delighted with how well my yarns have been selling. I can’t tell you how much I am enjoying doing this.

Many years ago, I read that Richard Adams who wrote Watership Down, did not discover his talent for writing until he had undergone psychotherapy. Years ago, about 28, I knew a lovely young woman (so was I, young that is) named Jane who always went on about how arty I was. I did not understand why. I knew nothing about art, was into clothing, did not draw, paint or anything remotely arty.

Now I am an artist. A fibre artist. I know that. And like Mr Adams, this came out of me once I had got my shit dealt with. I wonder how she knew it all those years ago?

Although I try not to, I wonder what I might have become had my interest in art and craft not been quashed when I was young and I had not been bullied by an immature father who could only see one way for a male to be. Now in my 50’s, I am an artist and I love it and I am more a man than he ever was.

5 comments:

Iris said...

EEEEEK! I am so jealous! I spent 10 years as a technology director and my Windows 7 was a bust on my computer. You live a charmed life, in some ways, my friend. I'm so happy for you, though. I love Windows 7. I have installed it on my MacBook in a Bootcamp partition. I can hardly wait for my recalcitrant Dell laptop to die so I can get one that WILL runn Win 7.

Your yarns are beautiful. As soon as we close on the house and I have some discretionary $$$, I plan on buying some. I'm so happy this is successful for you.

anachronist said...

Our fathers seem to be related.
Enjoy the arty streak and live up to it asmuch as you can.

I just love the grand canyon skein.

All of them are beautiful, keep coming up with fun colourways. And maybe write down what you did to recreate, might it be necessary.

tinebeest said...

I'm sure that if your art talents were given free rein when your friend told you all those years ago, you'd be a household name in the knitting circles now, just like Kaffe Fasset and his colour combinations :-)

Those yarns you dye are brilliant, but I too will have to wait for my next paycheque at least. I really like your eye for colour AND the names you have for them! Keep up the good work, I am not surprised it keeps on selling.

berigora said...

I can empathise with you, Colin. I have been a writer all my life and but for my father's constant teasing about anything artistic might have had the nerve to actually publish something by now. The only problem is he has never known how cruel this felt to me at the time and still does. I have three siblings and we were all teased about our tastes whether it be the Beatles or ballet. I mean seriously teased as it went far beyond the joking stage. One of my brothers is an excellent cartoonist and I can remember being reprimanded for encouraging him. Urrgh! At least I was allowed to knit unmolested as being female it was the sort of thing my father expected me to be good at.

Love your work, Colin! Beats me how you do all those glorious socks. I have been a knitter for something like 50 years and they are the only garments I've never had the nerve to tackle. I only know how to darn them!

FuguesStateKnits said...

Amen!!!!!