Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Sherman Heel

I couldn't wait to finish the sock before I showed the heel.

Each time I have done this heel, I did it differently, hoping to tidy it up.

I am really pleased with this one. I think it is my final recipe.

Not a great deal different from
Mary's original heel. I do not have any wraps, I knit on one ML (tho as I am knitting back and firth for the heel that doesn't matter) and instead of S1 purlwise, I slip knitwise on knit rows and purwise on purl rows and slip the encroachments as directed.

Also when i first did this heel, I slipped the first stitch on the way back after the pivot row by mistake but I liked it. Later, I discovered that Janine does it that way.

I think it makes it look much neater.

14 comments:

SusanB said...

I love the color combination in the yarn. And it is very nice looking heel. Good job!

Bets said...

Very nice! One of these days I must get out of my standard heel flap rut.

Monika said...

This heel looks perfect!

Anonymous said...

It's a Mary Poppins heel...practically perfect in every way. Gorgeous.

natalie said...

Lovely neat heel, the best I have seen.... I have tried and completely failed to do short row heels... could you do a stitch by stitch guide to this one please?

Anonymous said...

Very nice, like that neat finish. I love it when it all looks so neat, gives a much more professional finish I think. So do you just knit the short rows but don't wrap the stitch, but still slip it at the end of each row?

Anonymous said...

Terrific heel. As a beginning sock knitter, were could I find a pattern that would help me learn that technique? I really like it.

Speaking of men's socks, I have to start my dentists socks. I can't decide on the yarn. He is conservative (but I am not). I am looking a the new Kaffe Fasset sock yarn. What do you think of the green tones?

Anonymous said...

PS. Found Mary's pattern. Gee, there was the link right in front of me. Dahh.

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is perfection and you can see that it wears very comfortably.

Suna Kendall said...

I'll try this next time, though my short-row heels don't look too awful. I'd like them to look as perfect as my other heels, though. Such a good role model, Colin. :-)

Susan said...

Perfect Heel. Hat's off to you. I have tried the Sherman Heel more than once (many times) and have never mastered it. Great job.

Rachel F said...

Colin, I think this one's perfect. Why do mine still look like I stir the yarn with a fork instead of knitting them like normal people do! Good photography too.

Rachel F
Isle of Wight (UKHK)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Have to tell you I just don't feel the love knitting toe-up. But your sherman heel is really a thing to marvel. If I do another toe-up I'm going to try your method.

Kathe Lewis said...

Hi Colin,
I am, as always, impressed by the quality of your work.
Can you please explain a daft Dane, what "I knit on one ML " means?
Best regards,
Kathe in Denmark