Friday, April 21, 2006

Opal 6ply Sock Pattern

I used colour no. 1255.

I knit on 2 circs. You will need a 4.5mm needle, 2 x 2.5mm needles and 2 or 3 x 3mm needles.

Cast on 60 sts using 4.5mm needles and continental cast on. Join in circle.

Using 2.5mm needles, knit 24 rows in 2x2 rib.

Using 3mm needles knit 40 rows.

Working only on 30 sts on needle A:

Row 1: K 1, then K1 P1 to second last stitch, K1,

Row 2: P1, P1 K1 to second last stitch, P1.

Row 3: K1, P1 K1 to 2nd last st, K1

Row 4: P1, K1 P1 to 2nd last stitch, P1

Repeat these 4 rows until you have knit 20 rows, ending with a wrong side row.

Shape heel: S1, knit 19, SSK turn

S1 purl 10, P2Tog turn
S1 knit 10, SSk turn

Repeat these 2 rows untill all stitches are worked.

Heel Flap Pick Up: With another 3mm needle, pick up 18 sts along heel flap. Slide these sts onto the needle holding the shaped heel. Knit across instep sts. Now using a 3mm needle, pick up 18sts along heel flap.

Knit across the needle holding your heel and 1st set of picked up stitches. You now have heel sts and both sets of picked up sts on one needle. Knit across your sts on needle B.

Now knit the follwing rounds:

Round 1: knit

Round 2: Needle A(holds your heel) knit 1, SSK, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, knit 1
needle B knit

Repeat these rounds until you only have 30 sts left on needle A.

Commence counting again. Knit 40 rows.

Shape toe:

Round 1: K1 SSK, knit to last 3 sts K2 tog. This is done on BOTH sets of sts.
Round 2: Knit

Repeat these rows until you 16 sts left. Turn sock iside out(from toe end) and use a 3 needles cast(bind) off.






3 comments:

Mary-Lou said...

Excellent! I still maintain that I'm never going to be a sock knitter (I think it's the hedgehog feeling of the dps that gets me) but every time I see how well you're doing with them, I wonder whether I should give them another try. Thanks for your good wishes btw

Anonymous said...

Nice job :) They are good looking socks.

Anonymous said...

cool! i think that's the yarn i'm using for my son's socks...i have a slightly different colorway--blue, yellow & red in same Opal for me up after I finish his.