Thursday, April 13, 2006

Muenchen, Munchen, Munich

Yes three different spellings. Don't know why.

Anyway, on the 28th we leave for Munich. We will drive in a 'loop'. I was lucky as I was planning the route using Mapsource which is a very useful PC tool which came with my Garmin 2720. It turned out that the route I thought of to get there was the same distance as the route I chose for coming back.

We leave here on the 28th and sleep in Calais that night. On Saturday morning we start to drive to Saarbruken, which is the halfway mark to Munich. We stay there that night and on Sunday continue to Munchen. There we stay until Wednesday morning when we will drive up to Nurnberg(Nuremberg), only 100 miles away. Stay there Wednesday night and head for Koln(Cologne) to stay Thursday night and back to Calais for Friday night, arriving home on Saturday 6th May.

We may miss out the Nurnberg part, depending on what we do in Munich. I may well fancy driving into the Alps instead.

Hopefully, I will do a bit of shopping!!! I love traditonal Bavarian clothing for men and already own some shirts and jackets and shoes and would like some more. Of course there will also be yarn shops. Then there are galleries and museums etc

Prague turned out to be a dodgy destination for me. Hilly, cobbled, very little disabled facilities and upon talking with an aquaintance who visited last year, decided we really wouldn't go there. Not just for the lack of facilities tho that is reason enough I guess. He had stayed in the same square we had planned to stay and he said pickpockets and prostitutes were plentiful and one really had to watch oneself. Too much hassle really.

Still, I love Bavaria. Beautiful place. Am looking forward to it.

John is back for SA this coming Saturday, 15th.

I am designing another Aran but have not decided on the stitches yet. I have frogged my test piece several times now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, too bad it isn't beer fest time, no matter, you'll have a blast anyhow. I was there a long long time ago, pretty city. Well Germain food itn't the best, but hey! Woll is nice there, I had bought fabric but I am sure there are super yarn shoppes.

Müchen - real Germain spelling (with two little dots over the u in case it didn't work out in the interspace trip)
Muenchen - how you write it if you don't use the two little dots over the u, as the ü is prononced like "ue" and kinda like the moo of a cow then

Munich, the English bastardisation of the name!

boring, explanation, but for once in my life I had the answer!

Bon voyage! Prague will always be there!

Carole

StickLena =KnitLena said...

Ooh Bavaria! I once was there and overnighted at a rural B&B. I was a funny place. The 1st floor smelled dung, the 2nd hay, the 3rd cows and on the 4th was the room I should sleep in. I believe the building was very very old....The morning after I went for a short walk and saw, that under half of the building was a dung heap! There are reason for most of what we experience! The landlord lived on the 1st floor and that must be why the dung was only under half the house. If there was a void inte floor where the cows where, it was very easy to muck!
Wishing you a nice and safe trip. Do not buy too much yarn...

Anonymous said...

glad your easter bunny is coming home tomorrow!

Carole

KnittinNurse said...

My grandparents lived in Bavaria (Stuttgart) and I have many nice childhood memories of my summers spent there- gardening with Oma, knitting in the shade and afternoon coffee (yes, the kids could drink coffee, more whipped cream than coffee tho). To me BAVARIA /Bayern=learning to knit!

(California girl here).

The kids only had 4 weeks of summer vacation and went to school on Saturdays too- So I had to go to school during my “vacation” LOL...but I was a good little German girl and put on my rucksack full off books and joined in.