Friday, March 17, 2006

Lambswool Boucle 2

This is another sweater in the lambswool boucle yarn I have. This time I knitted it on tension 6, instead of tension 8 at which I knit the green one. This drapes better and looks better. The other is too loose. This is a beautiful yarn. It machine washes and tumble dries. 80% lambswool 20% nylon.

It is not easy to knit with at all. Picking up sts is very difficult because one can't see them! Therefore the sleeves are knitted top down, something I have not done before. I was concerned that casting off at the end of the cuff ribbing would look horrid or not pull in well. I needn't have been concerned, it doesn't look any different to my normal bottom up method.

The sweater is light weight, only 500 grams for a sweater that is 64m wide and 70 cm long, including rib. It is sewn using backstich. I normally sew with mattress stitch but these sts are not easy to see! It is also drop shouldered whereas I'd prefer a set in sleeve or raglan but decided the sewing up would be too difficult given the visibility problem.
I am pleased with this neck, both in fit and height. It feels good when worn.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous shade of blue, Colin. Absolutely lovely sweater! That
collar is really nice. Every time I see one of your creations I want a
knitting machine! Trouble is it's your years of experience and talent
that gives you those results, and you can't buy that!

craftyknits said...

Hi Colin, Once again a remarkable sweater, is the boucle 4ply or industrial? I have some 4ply here and wondering if it would look the same.Where you said in previous posts you do not use a pattern, do you use a charting device, as I have just purchased the Brother knitleader. My colour cordinated sweater will hopefully be on my blog over the weekend.
Love to the pups & mum and take care yourself
Lynne

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, as always, Colin! Did you make it on your fine gauge? The stitches look so small!

Anonymous said...

Colin...beautiful sweater! You're inspiring me...I have some alpaca
boucle yarn that I picked up last year on sale and I want to go home &
play with it now!

Anonymous said...

I love Boucle yarn . I always love the texture it produces. And The pups are
adorable. Hope you take pictures as they grow.

Anonymous said...

Colin, your necklines look like they are applied by magic!

Anonymous said...

Colin:

As usual that sweater is absolutely beautiful!! I fell in love with that
yarn just from the picture. When I grow up, I want to be able to knit just like
you .

Like you said on your blog I also do not care for the drop shoulder. When I
have done them, I make the seam into a design element. I would duplicate
stitch that black design over the dropped seams.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely yarn - the sweater was pretty neat, too!

DJ said...

Great work! Of course it always is.
You can be very proud of the things that you make.
and please, please more fur baby pics. pretty please.
Hugs,
DJ in SW MI

Anonymous said...

beautiful work Colin. You are so talented !!!

Anonymous said...

REALLY nice yarn, love the colour

Anonymous said...

Colin, yet another stunning sweater. Just beautiful. How are the
puppies doing? Bet they are keeping you busy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin, re people doing good, in Vogue Knitting for Fall 2005 there is a short article about a young woman raising money for children who need prothetic eye care. www.sunshinescarves.com
love the puppies