Friday, February 08, 2008

Cashmere Commission

This is a 100% cashmere sweater I was asked to make. It is sold.

Made with two strands of 2/28's at tension 5 on a fine gauge machine. the tension was 37 sts and 61 rows to 10cm AFTER washing and tumble drying on hot 3 times. The final garment was treated the same.

This method really brings up the loft and true luxurious feel of cashmere yarn. The garment is machine washable on delicate wash. However, I have found that once the garment has been tumbled 3 times it can be continually tumbled without further shrinking. However, for longevity, I'd still recommend a hand wash, spin and dry flat. Not that I have any proof that continual tumbling will harm it.


4 comments:

krisleon said...

Thats a fantastic sweater colin.

Anonymous said...

Cccooooooooooeeeeeeeeee!! A commision - don't you feel you have arrived somehow Colin?? To me it seems like the Holy Grail of knitting!! Well Done - you deserve such an accolade. XX

Unknown said...

The sweater is awesome. Your attention to detail is terrific.

On previous posts - love the update photos of the pups. If I lived in the UK and had the right environment, I'd really be interested. But I'm not so I can't. I'll just admire photos from a distance.

feltboots said...

Just beautiful ! It looks so wonderfully soft and I'll definitely try your "wash-and-tumble x3" method, albeit on a swatch first. Thanks for the info.