Friday, May 04, 2007

Huh?

In response to an query on a knitting list, I replied that Alpaca does not shrink in the wash nor in tumble dryer. That is my experience of a 25 year plus knitwear designing / knitting career. Of different brands of Alpaca.

As a result of this, I am told I don't know yarn(your alpaca can't be pure) or that I am lying, though not so bluntly. Why would I lie? I have been patronized and insulted by the back door.

I wonder if this is because some people can't get their head around a man knowing what he is doing in this field? Over the years, I have noticed that female knitters / designers are fawned over. Males get knocked. (Kaffe and Brandon excepted.) How really rather pathetic. I have no wish to be fawned over but I have no wish to be patronized, told I don't know my craft or have it implied that I am a liar.

edit: in answer to questions...the only alpaca I have had that shrinks easily is a wool alpaca mix. None of the pure 100% alpaca has shrunk upon machine washing and tumble drying.

edit number 2: okay so now i am told that this guy's alpaca shrunk when he washed in the machine. He wondered why. it wasn't 100% alpaca, his was 80/20 with wool. Duh! Others are still banging on and on about this. Insisting that they are right and alpaca felts. I didn't at any point say Alpaca did not felt. I said if you machine wash it on a wool cycle and tumble dry it on hot it will not shrink. I was sent a link that showed you how to felt alpaca as proof that it felted. I'd f***ing felt too if you did that to me!
It seems to me these people are being deliberately obtuse. Or they really are thick which I sincerely doubt. They don't seem to realise that 1. this only refers to 100% alpaca fibre and 2. only to normal sweater washing in the machine, not deliberate felting techniques.

5 comments:

Terri said...

Good for your speaking your mind! You do have a point about the comparisom between male and female knitters.

BTW, secretly I have fawned over your work for a long time.

Monika said...

I've knit with Alpaca blends, never pure Alpaca. All the blends felted like crazy (if I wanted them too, once I didn't, but the hat felted anyway) ;o). What kind of Alpaca did you knit with? I don't know enough about fibers, don't want to patronize or anything, but it would really interest me. I like Alpaca, because it is softer than Lamb wool.

Anonymous said...

I love Alpaca. As Monika asked, I would like your thoughts about the different Alpacas. Most of it I see is mixed with something else.

I read your blog on a regular basis and think your knits are just outstanding. So beautiful and so well finished.

I also read your comments on Colourmart. You have a vast amount of knowledge and I enjoy reading your comments and opinions.

Ruth Spears

P.S. Your dogs are cute too!!

Anonymous said...

I am currently knitting some socks that are an alpaca silk blend. Think I'll knit a swatch and try the shrink test before I deal with the socks, but more because of the silk than the alpaca. I would appreciate your input.

P.S. Your site looks great and my congratulations on the tobacco-less state.

Anonymous said...

That's okay...I started all hullabaloo by saying if it didn't full in the washer it won't full in the dryer. Which I still stand by. ;)