Tuesday, April 21, 2009

PEST


These were taken on our first day in Budapest. The title of this post is Pest because we were in Pest. Buda is across the river.

It was freezing cold, minus something C, and very windy. We had also just discovered that the city is useless for wheelchair users. I was furious. More because I was cold and tired from the previous day's driving. We took Daniel back to the hotel and when I had calmed down, I took painkillers and decided I would have to walk. I hadn't driven 1250 miles to sit in my hotel room.

I discovered that painkillers don't enable me to walk as if nothing is wrong, without pain, or at a normal pace. They do take the edge off though and I felt rather pleased with myself that I managed it.

On the way back to the hotel, to take Daniel back, I nearly got run over by a woman in a car as I was riding him over a pedestrian crossing. Like Italy, drivers seem not to care abotu traffic lights or pedestrians.


It happened again very soon afterwards and during our stay, I really had to watch out cars that wouldn't stop as I crossed roads. Not just that, they came around corners paying no heed at all to what might be in front of them.

As you can see though, the city was beautiful. I have many more pictures to post.

2 comments:

Susan said...

What delicate looking buidings. A lovely looking city and such expressive monuments one hopes the populace takes a moment to appreciate them.
I am not surprised by your comments re the awarness of mobile chairs etc. I was in Italy a couple of years ago with a person who required assistance and everyone seemed oblivious. The emphasis on "access for all" doesn't seem to be a priority in Europe as it is in Canada. Things change but slowly I am afraid. I am glad your determination kept you from missing out. The beautiful pictures are appreicated, thank you for sharing.
~Susan

marilyn said...

Lovely pics Colin!
Sorry that you had such a rough time with dreadful drivers.
I noticed that the statue of a woman bears a sinister resemblance to a younger Margaret Thatcher (spit!).
Speak soon
Marilyn x