Wednesday, November 04, 2009

FEELING MYSELF

Well, taking the pain meds on a regular basis really seems to be working out well. More than I would have thought. I have had no sugar cravings. Coincidence? My mood is better and I am not so short tempered. Coincidence? I do know that one of the things I was afraid of was the drugs changing my mood. It is 'mood altering' drugs that i have been taught to steer clear of. I have realised that I am not high. I just am in a better mood because I don't hurt so f'ing much! I can be a right twat (idiot) sometimes.

The postman has brought me surprises this week. Oh, okay, the postman is in fact Flora, and she is a lesbian. And no she isn't at all mannish. But I digress. I ordered Twisted Stitches by Maria Erlbacher, published by Schoolhouse Press. I had to order it it from Amazon.com as Amazon.co.uk did not stock it. I had seen the book on Fuguestateknits' blog. The information told me to expect the book in several weeks time. It took a few days to arrive. I love the book. Oh and I also got the Vogue Sock Book and Cokkie A's book. Not sure why, but what the hell.

The second surprise, even though I knew it was coming, was a hank of Wollmeise. I had seen that a blog/email friend had bought some at a fair and I wrote and asked if I could possibly buy some from her. I really expected the answer to be no as I know Wollmeise is a bugger to get hold of. Not only did this dearly lady not say no, she sent it to me as a gift!!! I haven't mentioned her name because she may prefer to be anonymous. The colours are gorgeous, black, and rusts, going from light to dark. It feels very nice and there is 160+ grams of it so plenty for a nice long pair.

I watched a film this afternoon called The Women. It was okay to watch whilst I knitted. Clever in that not one man appeared in the whole film, unless one did whilst I was twisting a stitch. I am not too sure what the point was or whom it was aimed at since these were all very rich women except for the 'mistress' who was a perfume sales girl. Come to think of it I think this film was snobby and pretentious and they portrayed the mistress as a common working class slut. Perhaps this wasn't a very nice film.

I have just started to watch the seventh series of 24. No I do not fancy Bauer. Not at all. I cannot resist watching this though. If only to wonder how many times this guy can survive what would have killed a lesser man in the first episode of the first series! The whole thing is very silly and very macho and very American and politically incorrect but I enjoy it anyway.

Oh and Carly Simon's new album, Never Been Gone, has arrived and I have listened once. I am not sure what I think. It contains re-workings of her own songs. I always find this difficult and is one reason why hearing songs live that I have only heard on record is not my favourite thing. Her voice though still does it for me. (not THAT but she has always made me feel.)

3 comments:

FuguesStateKnits said...

Colin,hope you enjoy the twisted stitch book - I cannot wait to try to either try one of the patterns at the back of the book or (wonder of wonders) design my own.
That movie The Women - is that the one about these women who go to Reno, NV to get a 6-week divorce back when divorce was hard to get? I remember in the one we saw, starring June Allyson, ca. 1948 or so, these NY "city women" stayed at this farmhouse for the requisite six weeks. When one learned the other one was her husbands new girlfriend, there was a regular rumble. The lady who ran the farmhouse, said in this tough voice, "This house is a rockin' and a rollin'"
At the time we watched this, my son, Dan, was about 7 years old. When he heard that line, he couldn't stop laughing. I am chuckling as I remember that. For years later, every time there was a ruckus - I would look at him and say, "This house is a rockin' and a rollin'"
Ok, so I'm a nerd. so shoot me, LOL:)

Also love that Vogue sock book, but haven't gotten Cookie A's yet. Cannot justify it right now. But it's supposed to be really good.

So.... when are you going to publish YOUR sock book???? Hmmmmmmm?

PS I am sooooo sad about Maine.

FuguesStateKnits said...

PPS So very glad you are using your meds for the tool that they are! Bravo! Happy that you are feeling better, too!YES:)

Iris said...

"The Women" has almost NO relation to the lives of most of us. Come on ... who has the $$$ to start a whole "boutique business" when we end up in that situation? I know I'd have two choices: public welfare or working myself silly at 64. Talk about unrealistic movies! It was an exuse to get Keaton and fluff head Meg Ryan together in a movie (my apologies to Meg Ryan fans).