Monday, November 09, 2009

COMPASSION OR BLAME?

READ THIS (click)

I commented thus:

I have been penniless and homeless and on the streets. I don't forget. I also look people in the eyes regardless of whether or not I give.
I am now in the position of often having to ask for help because of disability. It brings up many of the same feelings that poverty and
homelessness did. The important thing is that I ignore my pride and I ask...most of the time.I have a very good life now. I am thankful each day because I know how fragile it all is. The person who suggested we don't look because we fear being there ourselves, is dead right. In our spirit we know we are looking at ourselves in different circumstances and it is scary. To feel compassion is good and painful. Blame is easy and the cowardly way.

I'll add I think this woman is courageous. Both for her action that day and for writing about it on her blog.

2 comments:

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

I've been terrified of the homeless since 1997, but I know it's my problem and not theirs.

Back in 1997, I learned the hard way that Christian compassion is just lip service that makes them feel good about themselves.

I was having a real problem with my dissociative disorder at that time. My full-time job got eliminated due to budget cuts and I was only working part-time at another job. I was a month behind on the rent and utilities. My checking account was overdrawn. I hadn't eaten for three days. I had no food in my apartment. It was January 1997 and it was averaging below 20 degrees during the day. I was about to be kicked into the street.

In desperation, I asked my Christian friends for for help. These are the answers they gave me:

-- God is testing you (so the Christian didn't have to help me).
-- God is judging you (so the Christian didn't have to help me)
-- God disapproves of your lifestyle (so the Christian didn't have to help me)
-- You're having a lack of faith (so the Christian didn't have to help me.)

The two people who came to me rescue were two lesbian Jews (the kind that Christians would call "abominations").

I will never forget the terror of nearly being homeless in the dead of winter, only to be completely shut out by "good, decent Christian folk".

Unknown said...

I know your experience is true, Indigo. Experienced that sort of evil many times over different things. The time will come when the mask they wear will be ripped off and they will see themselves as they truly are and begin the work of cleansing themselves.