Saturday, November 21, 2009

TIME FOR HANKING

It is still wet here. Poor people in Cumbria have severe floods. Lives have been lost. I always wonder what happens to people's pets. I couldn't leave my home and not take the the dogs.

I slept better last night though I did allow myself a little help. I don't unless it's a dog as a rule but the thought of another sleepless night...

I still have not been out. I picked up John from the station, in my pyjama's. I was glad it was dark as I really thought I night not even go to do that. I didn't go into the supermarket. Told him what I wanted, a low fat plain live yoghurt, and left him to it. I really couldn' face the idea of being out. Normally, I am itching to be able to go out. We get Daniel in the car (the electric chair) and I zoom around our large Tesco. I have no desire to leave the house right now and I felt naked for the brief time I had to yesterday.

I was okay with John too. I was scared I might not be but once again I asked for help with that. We watched the new Michael McIntyre DVD. He is very funny and whilst he does swear, he does not do offensive jokes, more observations we all identify with. He also clearly has his insecurities and this makes him funnier and endearing.

The mistake I made in writing careless words about a person who was so easily identifiable has been cleared up, I am very pleased to report. We have had pleasant email exchange and it is now behind us. I so unused to being forgiven for my mistakes. I really hated the idea I had caused pain. I had not intended to. Had the thing that upset me in the first place not happened whilst the possibility of me losing my home is hanging over my head, I am quite sure I would not have reacted the way I did.

I have done a fair bit of hanking recently. The niddy noddy is easy to use, despite video demonstrations on YouTube that make it look really hard! The drawn illustrations found elsewhere were not helpful either. Finally I just picked the damn thing up and looked at it. I knew what a hank was and I figure it out in about 15 seconds. Easy peasy as they say. Oh and now I know how the hanks get messed up too, if one is careless as one hanks. It has been one of biggest complaints about bought hanks-the hank not being done right and getting tangled as one tries to ball it.

I shall probably spend much of this weekend hanking. This way I also a pretty good idea of yardage/metreage. Already one customer asked I hank for her instead of sending the cakes.

Carly has been in season for a bout a week and has not yet got to the 'ripe' stage as Luque is still behaving himself. I shall know when Carly is ripe because he will go nuts.

Shameless will be coming back home from my dear friend Dawn. When she went there the agreement was that she not spey her until I was sure I didn't want any more from her. I do. I want to mate her to Luque. Both her previous litters produced champion quality puppies but with problems I did not want. I know that Luque has not produced any unsoundness at all so hopefully this will be a better match. Oh, don't misunderstand, Bridget is being kept and very good but she doesn't quite make the grade and Carly, who does physically make the grade, she is ch quality, has this weird skittish temperament. I am very hot on good temper and I do not want this in my line. A ch quality dog that freaks out when at a dog show is no good.

James went to his new home a week ago. Honestly, these dogs are just weird. John and I loved him but we didn't like him much. He didn't like us. He basically ignored us. Oh, he wanted the food and he would deign to wag his tail at dinner time and he might also do so if he hadn't seen either of us for a while. However, he mainly ignored us. Well, the lady and gent he went to live with were told before they came that he was quite an undemonstrative dog but easy to handle.

They arrived last Saturday morning. I let them meet the other dogs first, and then, with trepidation, I let James in to meet them, hoping he wouldn't just walk out again. The little bastard came in, took one look at the woman, and jumped on her, tail wagging furiously and licking her face non stop! She was delighted and in love. I was pleased too, despite me thinking he was an ungrateful little sod! Honestly, he had all his needs met, was cared for and loved, but still we were not good enough for him! Lhasa Apso can be like that. When we got the lead and they were ready to leave, I was thinking, here we go, this is when he will baulk. No. He practically dragged the woman to her car. He couldn't wait to leave home. Hummph!

The woman called a few days later to tell me how happy he was and how thrilled she is with him. He follows her everywhere, sits on her lap, licks her all the time and is totally house clean and eats like a pig. I am glad the little sod is happy!

I guess that is it. I am off to do so some hanking.

6 comments:

Susan said...

What a hoot! Little sod...lol Love hearing about the doggies.
Glad to hear you got out if only briefly. You will be back in your routine soon. If only the sun would shine. Winter does tend to pull one down.

Anonymous said...

Dear Colin,
Be careful and don't go overboard with the hanking. Break it up with other activities so you don't stress your shoulder. That's the last thing you need right now!
As for James, go figure. At least he found the right human to click with.
Sabine

Anonymous said...

Hilarious about the dog who went off to a new home...At least you know he's happy tho, Keep your chin up..What colours will I send you? Email and let me know..

Anonymous said...

Colin, I am glad that you did get out of the house. I am just now catching up with your previous posts, and I am so sorry for the things you have just gone through, and the things in the past which still bother you. I haven't a clue why people lie, even when they say they are being honest, and it perplexes me to no end. I have been in that situation more times than I can recount. It strips away from me a sacred part of the trust I have for that person, and leaves me raw, vulnerable, and open to supreme self-doubt. I see so many similarities with what you are going through. As time passes, and I begin to heal, I realize that there are other, and perhaps more important emotions attached to that relationship. The genuine love is what I try to cling to, and not the deceit. Sometimes, the relationships are over, and other times, they remain, but on a different level, and not necessarily a negative level. My thoughts are with you.

Yarnhog said...

I think with dogs, it's all about the chemistry. I fostered a stray puppy many years ago who I intended to keep, but we just hated each other. I convinced a friend to come take a look at him, and they fell in love and lived happily ever after. I found the same thing with the litter I fostered over the summer: often people wouldn't look twice at my favorites, but just fell for one I didn't much like. I suppose it's a good thing; I guess there's someone for everyone.

Iris said...

I'm glad the little sod is happy, too. I had a beagle like that, once, except she loved everybody BUT me. Silly little dog. She went to live with a man who took her hunting and, the last I heard, she was his best "sniffer." I guess she just wanted a job.