Monday, July 21, 2008

Lazy Day

Yes, I am going to do nothing today. No swimming. I might not even knit. I feel like reading so that is what I shall do. I love to read and usually read in bed before sleep. Trouble is it takes me forever to finish a book this way as I only get to read a couple of pages before I fall asleep and I often re read them the next night as I forgot! I am reading Selpuchre by Kate Mosse who also wrote Labyrinth. I enjoyed that one and this is a delight too.

I am often wryly amused by people who tell me off for judging whilst at the same time they are judging me! The assumption that they know me is even more amusing. And then making judgements about me and my personality whilst telling me I really ought not to do that! Something about looking into mirrors comes to mind. I have found over the years that people who are forever pulling up others with 'don't judge' are doing precisely that!

I spoke with John last evening about my desire to do nothing for a while. I have felt recently as if everything is going too fast, that I need to stop and rest. I have just felt really tired, not in much pain for a few days but that started up again yesterday. My spine is inflamed and thus my rib cage and now my hands too. Nothing new of course, just a part of my condition. And yes, I have been sensible and taken the right medication instead of just putting up with it. I discussed it with John because as I think I have written here before, I don't always know when to give myself a break.

The puppies are a delight. They are a day past 6 weeks old. I have whittled it down to two pups to run on as possible show dogs, James and one of the girls, who might be called Tabitha. As she is the daughter of Shameless, I had thought to find words like that.I have come up with Relentless and Dauntless which is okay for kennel names but not really for call names. Any ideas any one?

I gave in and stopped using the keyboard which came with my new PC. It is a wireless one and is pretty useless. It kept not working correctly and I would have typed out a few sentences and when I looked up, it had typed gobbledegook. I am back using my ergonomic plug in one.

It seems that we might have some summer this week. It was cold yesterday and especially last night. Today is warmer and it is supposed to get warmer and calm as the week progresses.

Four weeks today will be on day two of our German trip to visit with Diana and Lia and Lui and hopefully Jane will come over from Holland. I am really looking forward to it. One of the reasons I enjoy the break so much is not having to cook and not having to deal with t he dogs for a week. I miss them like crazy but do enjoy having the rest. Even though the rest is actually really rather tiring! The long drive, which I love to do, and of course the sight seeing, museums etc. But it is different so refreshing. I usually come back knackered!

I had an email from someone who was having difficulty approaching a task because of the math involved. Like me, she had been bullied by her father when trying to learn math. I reminded her she was no a child now, could take care of herself and the bully was no longer there. As odd as it sounds, when you experience prolonged suffering like that, one can continue to feel the same way long after the cause has gone. I know for me, that I can still awake full of dread and on those I just remind myself that I ma grown up now and those people are no longer around me. It works.

Is it just me, or do any of you find it odd, that of all that I write here, especially about abuse, that some people are only moved to comment when they read something that offends their cherished ideas? They don't seem moved to express empathy or horror at the events I have described, or solidarity, or support but are only interested in putting forward their agenda. I am not perfect by any means but I have read plenty of stuff on people's blogs that have moved me to comment supportively even though they also be writing stuff that conflicts with my ideas.


I think, being the angry, bitter person that I am, I shall now go and stick pins into effigies of those I hate. Never mind resting, this is too important. Besides, I can't really rest, I have too many people to scowl at and too many people to fight, too many people to condemn. Too many dolls to stick. There is no rest for the righteous.

(Oh and in case anyone is confused, this is my blog and I write what I feel to write when I feel to write it. Although some may feel some sad satisfaction in writing and telling me that they are not going to read my blog anymore, I don't really give a monkey's and wonder why such people would think I would! this blog is a journal for ME!! Not you. I of course like the fact it is read by others and I am appreciative of most of the comments it generates, even if I don't always agree. However, the primary purpose is a record of how I am day to day and how I have changed, or grown, over time. The fact that a side effect of my blathering has been that others have been helped is amazing to me. The most humbling and astounding comment I ever got was from a person who is a child advocate lawyer and they told me that they referenced me and my experiences when thinking about the best way to help the abused child they were dealing with at any given time. Wow! I had no idea just doing something like this for myself would have that sort of effect.

And yet I think that we are all ONE and what affects one affects all, even if we don't see it or are not aware of it. I think we don't really understand how we are indeed all connected and whilst one suffers we all do and whilst one experiences joy, we all do. I think all goes out there and ripple effect touches us all. I think a smile or a scowl does not just touch the one it is directed at. I think that what you feel and think, really believe, not only affects you but affects others too. I think that if a belief I hold is positive or negative it will have that effect not just on me but on you. For instance, my point about fundy beliefs, or atheist bigots, is I do strongly think that people who hold such beliefs are personally responsible for suffering such as that of Matthew Shepherd and those who loved him. I think that if you support Capital Punishment, you have blood on your hands. If you support war, you are personally responsible when that bomb blows up a family, and for when young men and women return home in body bags. I truly do understand the need people have for black and white truths. Grey areas makes us uncomfortable . It can be very scary. It is very scary! Living with uncertainty is frightening and not at all easy. But it is all we have. When we try to convince ourselves and others that there is only one Truth and we know what it is, we are in deep trouble. As evidenced by the world we live in and it's great suffering. This was clearly expressed by a conservative Bishop and the Co E's meeting where there has been much fuss over Gene Robinson being made a Bishop because he is gay and him being denied his rightful place at this conference. This conservative Bishop was saying that the trouble is that too many people deny we can know Absolute Truth and that Truth is subjective! To my way of thinking, this man was saying two things: I am absolutely correct in my judgement and my Truth is absolute. secondly, that those who disagree are wrong. It seems to em that this is a man who is too afraid of the grey and must have everything ordered in black and white terms lest he fall apart.

I rely on my thinking ability, my gut and my conscience and above all keeping my mind open. I have been been led many times to see that beliefs I held were wrong and harmful. I have also had other beliefs supported. Either way, I keep fluid, open and willing to learn. I believe that the only way to peace for myself and for others is by keeping my mind and my heart open. This doesn't mean I cannot speak out when I see great harm being done. This doesn't mean I can sit back and keep quiet when views are expressed that I see as harmful. No, I see it as my responsibility, and yours, to speak up. There are times of course when must act as if we are right. Do we hold back and not intervene we hear White Supremacists spread hatred? When religious fundamentalists spread hatred? When children are being abused? Do we hold back because we have no right to judge? Or is this just an excuse to cover our cowardice? It is quite possible to intervene to prevent harm, if possible, without hating those we see as creating the harm.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your day of rest is very refreshing to you. We'll do it together. Today I turn 62 and feel frustrated, as do you, with the bigots and idiots of the world. If I'm not careful, I'll get myself all riled up and won't take this day of rest.

Can you get a voodoo doll for me, too?

CP Warner said...

You go, Colin! The day we close our minds and cease to learn, and expand our horizons, is the day we'd best hang it up.

I always figured that God gave me a brain for a reason, namely that I should USE it. But a lot of fundies are so fond of that passage in scripture where we are instructed to become like little children in order to inherit the kingdom. Most of them think it means we are to dumb down and be cookie-cutter images of one another. But if I dumb down, I am rejecting a gift I was given, ne c'est pas? to dumb down, or not to dumb down: which is the greater sin? (Apologies to Mr. Shakespeare for that paraphrase!)

My mother once told me I'd have happily stayed in the RC church if I only didn't think so much! Yowza. boggles the mind, doesn't it?

When I left that behind and became an Episcopalian, my spiritual mentor in my home church told me that God liked people who asked questions and used their heads for more than a hat-rack.

There have been gay folks in the clergy for years and years, and they are accepted because they don't "come out." Bishop Robinson "came out." Amen. More power to him! I hope someday I'll get to met the man, and it's not out of the realm of possibility, as New Hampshire isn't so far from where I live now.

What does anyone's sexuality have to do with whether one has spiritual gifts or not? Sometimes the Power and Spirit channel themselves through some very interesting conduits. Indeed, the least likely in the eyes of some folks.

God equips us for what God wants us to do. If we are listening -- and I believe you are, Colin -- we follow the calling. Maybe it doesn't fit with mankind's ideas of the so-called right path, but it's between you and God, not you and the dissenters.

I can't begin to tell you ow much I learn from reading your blog. Don't ever stop writing!

(((((hugs)))))

Anonymous said...

I agree so very much with your theory of our connectedness, Colin! And that every person who supports a war is guilty of the killing it engenders. Have you ever read "The War Prayer" by Mark Twain? I find it brilliant, beautiful, and very moving. Yet when I quote it or show it to supporters of George Bush's War, they inevitably tell me the author was an anti-American Commnunist, or some such nonsense. Mark Twain! And as often as it's happened, it still renders me speechless.

One point with which I might take issue today, though. My mother is Episcopalian, and she tells me that the major objection many hold to Bishop Robinson is not that he is gay, but rather that he walked out on and turned his back on his wife and children to live with his current partner. They view this as adultry, and they condemn him for not supporting his children. That viewpoint has given me some pause over and another viewpoint of that whole mess.

Enjoy your time doing nothing, Colin! Every single, wonderful second of it.

Anonymous said...

You're brilliant and caring. Anyone who tells you otherwise, isn't.
As for puppy names: Audacious. It's a daring name, a synonym for shameless, and sounds more respectable than Brazen. But then, I haven't had the honor of meeting you or your wonderful pups, so I don't know if the name would fit.

Anonymous said...

Suggestion for the puppies - Beau (as in Beau Brummel) and Dainty or Chatter (short for Lady Chatterly). Fanny (Fanny Hill) sounds a bit rude. Imagine standing outside and call, "Fanny, Fanny." :-)
Catherine