Saturday, May 15, 2010

Burnard

These were knitted using 75% sw merino and 25% nylon. It is one of the first times I used Landscape dyes and the dye did not dissolve fully, leaving those dark brown ‘burnt’ spots one the yarn. I therefore decided the yarn was Burnard 115 not fit for sale and I made socks for myself.

I used ADDI lace 2mm needles, one for each sock. I knitted them simultaneously.Burnard 116 I used the Andersson Toe Up Construction Method and utilized the Andersson Heel Mach II.Burnard Heel 117 I used Judy’s Magic Cast on for the toesBurnard Toe 118 and I used Jenny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Cast Off.

6 comments:

anachronist said...

The skein had looked great already and the knitted up socks are just very yummy indeed.
I guess, you could call the not properly dissolved dye spots a design feature and repeat this "mistake" and make some differently hued colourways out of them.

If I had all the money tospend, I would buy it.

There was a yarn from a company which name I cant recall, that had done a colourway collection with such "spots of very intense" colours and I am sad, I was not able to get more of it after I had seen it knitted up.
The wound ball of yarn did not show the potential at all and the knit up fingerless mitts I had made were just very nice indeed.
They were presents to two very dear helpers from the past.

anachronist said...

P.S. love the name you gave this creation and how the print on the background is so matching the colours in the socks.
Composition of the picture gets good marks from me :-)
I have unfortunately lost this ability and miss it sorely, after the hemorrhage, but am grateful this is just a minor loss.

AR said...

Now that's what I call 'Team work' :-)

Colin, Judy & Jenny. All come together to make a rather nice pair of socks.
Even the 'burnt' bits look good.

Ann

Knitting-twitter said...

hi, the outcome of the color is beautiful.. I love the socks, congratualtions.. ciao ciao Christa

Denise Koster said...

Colin, I think they are lovely. Interesting construction details--I may have to try those things. Congrats on the pupppies. Gosh, but babies are lots of work--glad it's you and not me.
Denise

Margaret said...

Oh, my, those are lovely socks! I think you could have sold the yarn easily. I so admire your designs and dyed yarn.