Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sorting It Out

It may seem it's taking a long time and it is. I am still trying to figure out the best way to deal with my health issues.

Last evening I went to a meeting. As I sat there, knitting, I came to realise how much pain I was in and just how exhausted I felt. I didn't do much knitting as my hands really hurt, as they do now, but not as much,

I think I became so aware of myself because I had stopped and relaxed.

Yesterday morning at the pool I had great difficulty doing my swim. It wasn't painful as it often is but I just was very weak. I stopped after 20 laps to rest at the side and then continued, sure that I couldn't, but yes, I did 50 laps eventually and then got out. I didn't mange my normal mile. John, the guard who helped me out, said he hadn't seen me having so much trouble before and asked if I was okay. yes, I replied I just feel weak.

Clearly I have trouble knowing when to rest and when to push myself to prevent myself being lazy. I have also come to understand a bit more about my drugs. The anti inflammatories are meant to be taken for a period of time, not just popping one here and there. If I take them at regular intervals over a period of days, it will help the inflammation. So I have been misusing them. Duh!

The thing that really worries me is the pain in my hands. I cannot even think I might not be able to knit. I am thinking that maybe I need to up the size of sock needles from 2mm back to 2.25 or even 2.5mm.

I think I must be having a flare. I hope that is all it is because I don't want this to be it forever. Meaning the tiredness. The pain I can deal with. The tiredness prevents me doing what I want. Okay so it's 5 days since Cruft's now. I rested all of Saturday and began swimming again Sunday. Only yesterday did I bath 2 dogs and swim and go to the meeting. Monday I did very little other than swim.

The reason I think I must be having a flare is this: I swam a mile a day for ages, even during my dark night of the soul period, and did not feel like this. I am 45lbs lighter now. I am eating more now. So I find it hard to believe that it is the swimming itself that is causing the exhaustion and pain. As my disease has bad periods and good periods, I just think this is a bad period and I need to deal with it.

I have a really hard time knowing when to take care of me and rest and when to push myself and not allow myself to idle. I argue with myself constantly. Like yesterday in the pool, I argued with myself the whole time until I eventually stopped at 50, already exhausted, but knowing I wouldn't feel guilty for stopping, at least not for long!

So you see, no matter how a far along the road one thinks one is, there are still issues to be understood and dealt with!

I know who that voice belongs to, the one that calls me a lazy good for nothing wimp. I do tell them to f***k off but.....well I am not always successful or even aware that it is that voice and not just me being weak and lazy.

Oh and yes, I am fully aware, now that I have written it down, that this weak and lazy business is an issue for me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right - this is an issue for you. You're not lazy. Just swimming a mile proves you're not lazy. You don't HAVE to go to the pool. You don't HAVE to swim a mile. No one is going to call you lazy if you don't. The fact that you do it at your own volition proves you are NOT lazy. You take care of dogs every day. You go to prestigious dog shows. You knit tons of beautiful things. You maintain a wonderful relationship with another human being. NONE of that is free of effort - and you do them all well. That's not a lazy man, my friend. Now, just convince YOURSELF of that. -smile-

Anonymous said...

Ah shoot, Dear Man, lazy you're not...all those "shoulds" running around in your head...you're also dealing with Dogs and they take lots of energy. Congrats on Crufts! BTW

But here's the deal: you're also dealing with drugs in your system. The side effects are not inconsiderable and can be unpredictable. I really had a hard time sorting out what was the effects of the drugs and what was real "body" messages, not to mention the effects of the drugs on my thinking. I am convinced that it's not possible to sort it all out!

I just keep hearing a "commandment" from my childhood: "Be still and know that I am God" Interprete it as you will, I use it to go to a prayerful place and feel protected and guided.

Anonymous said...

hope you start feeling better soon

Anonymous said...

Colin, you have just had the experience of Crufts which you admit you have never got around to before, and the timing was terrible, 5am starts. Also do you think you are eating enough, I wonder as you have been loosing weight maybe you need to take a good look at your diet and see if you might be deficient in something. The fact that you are so tired makes me wonder about your blood sugar levels and whether you are suffering dips that are causing this extreme tiredness.