Monday, March 17, 2008

Another ******* Post

I saw the doc today. Okay, did you know that Ibuprofen, Diclofenac and other NSAIDS, in long term use, cause heart attacks, stroke and kidney failure? No? Nor me. Now I know what she meant when she warned me about them.

Now I have taken the full whack dose daily for the last 6 days and it really made a difference. Now I have to quit. I can only do this once in about 8weeks and for no more than 10-14 dyas. great.

So I feel pissed off. I ate wheat today. smart. my guts feel wonderful. I also had a fag which tasted foul. I hate the damn things now I gave them up but they still have a draw for me.

Also feel at a bit of a loss to know how to support John. he came from a loving family and I can only try to imagine how he feels about the death of the woman who gave him life and loved him an cared for him. It's outside my experiences and makes me feel weird.

Interestingly, I was with my doc when my mobile went off and I had already told her what had happened so she told me to answer it. After John and I spoke, the doc had a gooey look on her face and she sad ' you two really take care of each other don't you? It's so romantic.' I didn't know what to say but thought well we are a couple and have been for almost 27 yrs and of course we watch out for each other, doesn't every couple? Seems not.

Sad for John and uncomfortable with feeling like I am not sure how to be there. Annoyed with myself for making my gut hurt cos of eating the wrong thing, and having the fag, especially when I had given myself permission to not swim today. I knew I needed to rest. So I swam 3 days in a row and did the mile each time, the 4th day i did two thirds if a mile and none today. I shall swim a mile tomorrow and probably follow this routine as it seems to have worked.

Oh but I forgot-no NSAIDS. I am told to dose up on my cocodomol (paracetamol and codeine) and if that isn't enough, the Tramadol(which I have never taken). It seems the only way to go for now is progressively stronger meds as my disease progresses until I am on a morphine patch. Well fF**k that, I think I shall just do what I have done mostly and put up with it.

The part that really bothers me now is that my hands hurt most of the time. Thankfully the doc still thinks that that more I use them the more they will last, so she thinks knitting is good. The fingers are a little more bent now but still mildly so. The knuckles are prominent. Oh and she called my condition poly something or other which I think just means widespread arthritis or in layman's terms - totally f**cked.


I told a woman in church the other night that I had TFS when she asked what was wrong with me. When she asked what what TFS was I told her it was Totally F**cked Syndrome. It amused me - and her when she recovered from the unexpected reply.

5 comments:

hokieknitter said...

I'm sorry for John's loss and your struggle to know what to say. It's not just you, you know, it's uncomfortable for most to know exactly what to say or do when someone loses someone. Which is why an awful lot of fried chicken and cakes show up at bereaved people's homes in my area. Like a grieving person wants fried chicken and cake. No, it just lets others show they care.
As for the Tramadol, I take it daily and was started with it before the other drugs my doc considers more upper-level, like the ones with codeine. She argues it's not physically addictive but psychologically addictive and gee, I'm going to be taking it from now on anyway (what a argument for giving in to becoming an addict). It's very good for pain relief, not necessarily because the pain disappears but because I simply don't much care it's hurting as much when I've took it. Does that make any sense? I will not drive if I've taken it although there isn't any restriction against, I simply know that if I feel that talkative and nonchalant about being in pain and it not mattering while taking those pills, I'm better off not being behind the wheel.
It is also interesting that your doctor is taking you on and off the NSAID's. I just started Mobic a couple of weeks ago after not being able to tolerate the others and she says to use it whenever I need it, at least once a day and never mentioned having to come off it like that. Notes to take to the next meeting. Thanks! I learn a lot from your blog and your sock knitting. Thinking of you and John across the Pond.

picperfic said...

I have found a man that cares about me, it's a lovely feeling. The words at the beginning of one of my favourite films, 'Moulin Rouge', 'The greatest thing you'll ever learn...Is just to Love, and be Loved in return'. When I first heard those words, I was in a marriage that was ending, slowly. I am happy now. Your sadness for John shines through...I laughed at your words at the end of your post...Sounds like you are coping with your disease. Are you coming to the Ktog in Ely on Thursday?

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for John's loss. I think the only thing you can do is be there for him. I think that would mean the most to him in his time of need. Sending love and prayers your way for both of you.

Anonymous said...

Go easy on yourself Colin, you have alot to deal with right now and your humour despite all that gets chucked in your direction is commendable. I wish I could be that .... whatever it is you are LOL! I am pretty certain I haven't got it.

Unknown said...

Sorry for Johns loss. I never know what to say when people lose someone close, sorry never seems enough somehow

Seems wrong one person seems to suffer so much when the B*******s out there seem to enjoy good health :o( Love the TFS comment.

My mother has been taking Diclofenac almost 7 years now I must check she knows the long term dangers to. Thanks for the heads up Colin.