Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Breaking Down?

I had to telephone a call centre early this morning to cancel an insurance call out to fix my fridge.

Well for some unknown reason my fridge was working again last night so no point the engineer coming.


So this is how the phone call went:

I dialled the number. Pressed the right numbers and waited. And waited.

A woman answers. She asks for my details. I give them.

'Pardon? ' she says.

I repeat what i said.

'Could you speak up, sir?' she says

I repeat loudly.

'I got that. ' she says. 'It must be a bad line.'

At that moment, I realised her voice sounded distant too. I looked for my remote for the tv to switch it off. As I was looking I saw my phone lying on the couch about 18 inches away from me.

I found the tv remote in my left hand against my ear.....

6 comments:

cindy said...

What a hoot!!! Who says we aren't adaptable??

CP Warner said...

Colin, that's too funny! I wish I could think of something equally amusing that I've done, to give you a chuckle. Alas, having just been to Wal-Mart for groceries and computer supplies, my brain is in the duh zone.

The lace shawl you were admiring on my blog had to be frogged and re-started after I reached row 102. There was a glaring error in row 93, which I contentedly knitted past. Then people in the knit-along group pointed it out, and I stretched the thing out to have a look, and voila! A jog I could not live with. I had stupidly neglected to put in any lifelines, so my ass was grass, alas! Frogged it, grumbling all the way, and decided to cast on with size 4 needles. The fabric is much nicer than what I was producing on size 6 needles, but due to taking care of Ma and feeling the urge to write again and getting ready for NH Sheep & Wool, I am only somewhere around row 50. I sometimes wish I had 8 arms like Shiva!

And yes, I do deal in yarn, but on a small scale at the moment. My eBay store does not have a real lot of stuff in it right now, because the new stuff is currently being stockpiled for the NH show. It's a 2 day festival, and I am terrified of running out of merch. I'm a Vending Virgin, so it's really hard to calculate.

I see my pal Cindy was here before me. We are in the same knitting and spinning group. have known each other for years. Small world, this knitting universe!

Regards,

Paula

Anonymous said...

That was so funny! People will tell you that it is due to age, but perhaps they can explain why I took an ironing board upstairs to hoover the carpet when I was 19?

Anonymous said...

That is so funny, the sort of stupid thing I would do!

Sharon in Bishop said...

It's nice to know that we're all going crazy & it's not just a 'local' thing! BTW I'm just finishing my first pair of socks with Opal after seeing the ones you made & I love the colors & feel of them. Thanks for the info! Sharon in Bishop

Clarisse said...

I soooooo needed a huge belly laugh today and thank you very much for providing it. Now I'll be snickering every time I see the remote LOL!!!

Clarisse >^..^<
http://desertknit.blogspot.com