Thursday, April 26, 2007

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

I have just been trawling thru some knitting blogs. I came across one which made me want to slap the person silly!

Why o why o why would anyone spend their precious time knitting a garment to then just cobble it together?

Finishing and sewing are a vital part of knitting. If you don't like it, then don't bloody knit! ( Or only knit stuff that doesn't need sewing.)

This garment I saw was striped. Not teeny tiny stripes but HUGE ones, in fact the whole thing only had three large stripes.

One picture showed the side seam. The seam was dreadful. Not str8 and the stripes did not match up.

I have seen this in magazines too. It really lets us knitters down and no wonder hand knitting has such a 'homemade' down class reputation.

If you are going to knit, then take your time to sew it up and finish it properly. If you don't know how to, LEARN.

If you can't be bothered, then find another hobby where you can be lazy and not think much of it.

It seems to me this might well reflect what is going on inside the person.

It does not take talent to sew up a garment properly. It just takes time and a desire to complete the job well. You do not have to be a trained tailor to do it!

Edit: 2.46pm

Comment left: 'I think "all" of the statements you make says MUCH about you and only you.'

by a person who didn't leave any identifier-ie no blog or email addy. In other words an anonymous sniper.

Yes, 'sharon' it does say much about me.

It says I believe that if a job is worth doing it is worth doing well.

It says I believe that learning and effort are well rewarded.

It says I have no time for deliberate incompetence or carelessness.

It says I care about our craft.

It says I think our craft is WORTH the effort.

It also says I have the courage to write what I think without hiding my identity.

It says that I believe in people and that knitting can be completed well by anyone who wishes to learn and put in the effort.

It says I believe that people DO have what it takes.

I says I believe that people have the ability.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think "all" of the statements you make says MUCH about you and only you.

Anonymous said...

Strange you should say this. A book I have been waiting for arrived today and given this is I would assume a professional book, the finishing on some of the garments is awful.

Anonymous said...

I see the same problem with home sewists: not pressing as they go; not finishing seams well; putting dartings in carelessly or in the wrong place; not fitting the patterns to their own bodies. The result is a waste of time!

Tania said...

Unfortunately, I see a lot of the same attitude in knitters as well as sewists. I truly believe they just don't SEE the glaring missteps, as they often proudly show off their projects.

My pet peeve is when people think it's too much trouble to hand wash an item I spent weeks making stitch by careful stitch. I don't make many gifts, as most recipients expect machine washable and dryable garments - and in general, those fibers are not as much fun to work with.

FuguesStateKnits said...

Hi Colin! Hope you weren't looking at my blog, LOL! I agree with you -especially considering the cost of good yarns these days! I have frogged entire garments when they came out all wrong, and despite the work involved, it was still worth re-doing. I still need to be more careful with my finishing, though - so thank you for your reminder. It's always worth saying - and repeating. Plus there are so many good books out there about finishing, that there's really no excuse!
Take care - hope you are enjoying good weather across the pond:)
Joan