Tuesday, January 04, 2011

I COULD SQUEAL

....and jump up and down and a jig if I could.


This year started off really well.


Not only is our battle with the IRS over but THEY are going to give US a sum well into five figures. We still have the legal do do of having to get the legal claim on our house removed and also clear John's credit rating. At least though it will all be done.


Not only that, but the death of two people also gave us unexpected five figure sums each. Don't feel bad they were in their 90s and went peacefully.

My failed knitting business, because of my health, left me with a lot of debt. And I mean a lot. Anyone who knows how much brand-new silver reed machines with rivers cost etc. plus tonnes of cashmere and other fine yarns.
Fortunately the knitting business debt was paid off last year. This was a huge load off my mind because I felt so guilty about it. John never once commented about the thousands of pounds worth of machinery and yarn that I had that I now could not use to get my money back. He is really good that way. I beat myself up enough for the pair of us!


I am now in the very fortunate position of being able to knit what I please, as my body allows, and still sell the odd sweater and my hand dyed yarn.


John retires in 18 months and we shall be debt free! ( This also means I can marry him without my good financial history being ruined too.)


As I said 2011 is going to be a good year!

Our wedding is likely to be March 2012. Before our 32nd anniversary on 7/7. John doesn’t like to rush things, he needs to sure…..

14 comments:

steel breeze said...

Excellent news, what a good start to 2011! :) Very pleased for you!

Knitting-twitter said...

congratulations moon and back, really good news. I am happy for the two of you and Happy New Year..Christa

Natalie Servant said...

I'm so happy to read this news & glad that this long saga is over. Congratulations! And will you be getting new Docs for the wedding (and is there room for growth in the new shelving system)?

Bo... said...

I'm so happy for you that you've been able to clear up those financial issues. And I'm happy for you especially because you're going to get married! Congratulations on that! Just be sure to put the pics on the blog!

Bo... said...

I love my comment! I wrote a long comment and it just disappeared when I pushed the "publish" button. Waaaaah. But what I said was that I was so happy for you that you'd gotten rid of all those frustrating financial issues and that I was also happy for you that you'll be able to get married. Congratulations! Put some of the pics on the blog!

Penelope Grey said...

Oh Colin, congratulations, March, if you need a bridesmaid just give me a shout LOL!

Yarnhog said...

What a great way to start off the year! Congratulations!

Lol said...

Yay, so pleased to read this. Congratulations to you both. xxx

FuguesStateKnits said...

Awesome, Colin!!!! Our oldest was born on 7/7/77, so I won't soon forget YOUR anniversary date:)
Love to both of you:) This is wonderful news!

AR said...

Colin,
Not a lot to add to the previous posts.

Your comments made for a 'good read' :-).

Wonderful news! Woo Hoo!

Anita said...

I am very happy for you. That is wonderful.

Susan said...

There is nothing more gut wrenching than a business that failed to thrive, I know all to well that disappointment. No one understands the liberation of being "debt free" until you have been through it. I wish you and John the best of times. Do something special to mark your wedding, 32 years of commitment in this day and age deserves to be recognized!

Iris said...

Your last paragraph made my day. I can relate to your business losses. I have not one, but two, business losses in my history. Both were rather pricey. Jim has one, too. We moved to Erie, PA, once, on the government's dime and, then, found Jim hated it and we moved back before the allotted year and had to pay the moving expenses both ways AND buy out 6 months on a lease.

I suspect we all have our little errors in our past. That is the salient point: in the past.

Bente T said...

This is good news, I am very happy for you. Congratulations!