Sunday, July 01, 2007

Hip Hip Boo Hoo

So now I am getting really pissed off. I can cope very well with pain. I can even take my mind away from it and I knit or even walk the dogs, if I can, or I go and swim or I meditate or I read or listen to music. Whatever, I can leave pain behind far enough to either not feel it or have it just rumble quietly .

Night pain is a different matter altogether. I can't get away from it. My hips are really painful at night and have been for a couple of weeks now. I thought maybe the Memory Foam Mattress Topper I bought was to blame. I took it off and last night the pain was worse.

I am getting about 3-4 hours sleep and then I am waking every 20 mins or so because I am in so much pain and have to move. I have to switch sides. This morning I took pain meds as soon as I was out of bed and it still took from 7.30 am till gone 2pm(after second does) before it eased off.

Anyway, I went to the pool and swam half a mile which helped in that whilst I am doing it, I am weightless and feel no joint pain. It also helps dissipate the ratty feeling.

Right now I just feel tired, not sore.

I am past the heel on John's toe up socks. They are okay but not the style I would have chosen. He doesn't like them tight so they aren't. The toe is too wide and I'd have the body tighter but.....they are for him so he must have them the way he wants them. It is just difficult to make something that one feels is not well made.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin
WOuld it help if you swam later in the day say in the evening?

Might help to relax you a bit before bed

Pam

patsijean said...

Colin,
So sorry about the pain. I can not imagine how it would be to live with it all the time. I am prone to intense back muscle spasams, the pain of which can last for weeks at a time (emergency room intense at times), but I am learning that exercise does help keep events further apart. And I love my memory foam topper. It is so comfortable, and does help with some of the stiffness. I have it placed over a firm matress and box spring so that we get the SUPPORT we need and the softness we like. Put it back on. If your matress is not firm, perhaps a sheet of 1/4" plywood underneath can help with some of that support. It is an old-fashioned trick, I know.

For our joints we take Glucosamine + MSM supplements every day. Our doctor says that it does work. Unfortunatley it cannot cure, but it can help with joint flexibility. Our tri-colour Sheltie (only 7) was limping terribly after runs or longer walks and our vet told us to give him 1/3 of a tablet and a 80ml asprin every morning and another 1/3 every evening (something to do with the fact that dogs do not have ball and socket joints in the shoulders like we have). That has worked wonders for him.

Yarnhog said...

I've used glucosamine/chondroiton on my arthritic old dog with great success. If you're not using it, you might want to give it a try. It seems to take a couple of months of regular use to start working, but in the long term, it might really help. I hope you're feeling better soon.

NikolaAnne said...

The socks are not "not well made", they are just made to a style that would not be your preference in which to make them....

They look fantastic in the post further up, and look like they fit him really well...

So stop your whinging ;-)