Monday, July 09, 2007

Eight Balls

The older I get, the younger I behave.

I have finished the complete pair for John and still only one sock of my pair.

However, the other day I got thru the post 8 balls of Online sookyarn, the complete Tropical set. They have been sitting quietly by the settee in full view making me drool whenever my eyes set upon them.

This evening, like a child not able to wait until Xmas day, I ripped open the bag and started another pair.

Not only that but I started toe down and this time got the toe I wanted, a nice rounded one.

Very simple.

I have done such shaping on a raglan and had seen QK's idea for what she calls 'fan shape'.

As I was casting on Turkishly, I suddenly realised what she was talking about and that it is what I do on Raglan seams only she was doing it on the toe. The picture completed in my head and I threw QK aside and did it.(btw why on earth does she make such a performance out of these instructions? What's with all those markers? I thought the idea was to make it simple? I can't imagine what a total novice ( the hills are alive) would make of it. I know what this ex novice (my knees hurt) one would have done had I seen this book when I had no clue- I'd not be knitting socks.How does one see the stitches thru all that rubber and plastic?

So this sock toe is looking good, the colours are scrummy and I have another 7 balls (call Mr McWhirter) of different scrumminess. Lucky me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is QK? Stitchmarkers in the toe... oops. I have planned to teach myself the toe up in my coming holiday. Must find the best description... Not QK's I presume. :-)

Where fibers meet mud said...

Toe up eh? I love the fact that when a sock is finished I have 12 stitches left - not sure I would like it the other way around. How is the ribbing cast off? Is the top tight? I hate tight sopped socks... I may try a pattern one day... currently doing plenty of traditional sock patterns... pictures of the dog are charming... now more sock pics please...

Dlhaymark said...

HI Colin!

I came looking for pics of the Online socks you have started! My very very favorite pair of socks are knit in Online yarn!

Please post them soon.

Knit On

Debbie

Holly said...

Oh DUH!!!!!

Thank you for the light bulb. I don't normally do top up socks because I don't like the look and feel of the edges.

But treat them like full fashion knitting at a raglan - i.e. move it and all over a couple of stupid stitches so that you have supporting and unmessed with stitches on the sides and it looks great.

what a difference!