Thursday, December 24, 2009

WEARING RUBBER AND UNDRESSING

I have come to the sensible conclusion that my hands are most important to me and I must take care of them. I have been using the hand cream more often and have now taken to using rubber gloves to wash up and latex gloves for dyeing. I have soon learned to not forget. My skin gets sore and cracks and dries out but with what look like cuts at this time of year and knitting becomes painful. The simple steps outlined prevent that.


We went out today. Had lunch and coffee at Panini's. It takes me so long to get dressed in this weather. First I put on underwear, then 100 denier tights, black, then merino blend long john's, then ski thermal pants, then trousers. On my feet I put 3 pairs of shop bought skinny socks and on top of those my hand knit socks. This still does not prevent my feet feeling cold, but they don't drop off. On the top I wear a silk vest, merino blend long sleeved vest, roll neck sweater and a cashmere sweater on top of that. Then a coat, hat and scarf. I use a thick thermal blanket over my legs in the electric wheelchair. I am warm except for my feet, like that. We have been home about 3 hours and I am only just going to attempt to get it all off again! Don't you dare laugh!


I am almost done knitting the socks out of Expression, one of the first yarns I dyed myself. I am itching to get cracking on Flash Light, the merino, cashmere, nylon mix. I will be knitting them plain as the purpose of the next 4 pairs of socks is to see how the colours and methods I used knit up.


Tomorrow is a day like any other so I will be here and available on my blog or email for those who either ignore this day or are alone and feel like 'chatting'.

3 comments:

joannamauselina said...

Wow! You must look like you gained a stone when you get ready to go out. With all those socks on, your shoes or boots might be too tight, which would impair your foot circulation, and hence make your feet colder. I find that my feet are often warmer in sandals than in tight shoes.
Here's hoping we can all keep warm this winter.

Suna Kendall said...

I really liked the Flashlight yarn, too. I will be interested to see it knit up. I love the names you give the yarns. They are as much fun as your sock names.

You keep warm. It is supposed to freeze tonight here--we had snow flurries, and that rarely happens in Texas.

Iris said...

Not laughing - not laughing - not laughing. If you believe that, I have some swampland in Florida I'd love to sell you.