Sunday, December 13, 2009

STILL DYEING










Here is the result of my messing about. FREEDOM is acid dye, ABSTRACTION is acid dye as are Purple and SUSTENANCE . BILLIE HOLIDAY is food colouring and TRIFLE is Kool Aid.

Purple was meant to be lilac. I wrongly assumed that using less dye would result in that as the blurb suggested 4g for deep colours so I thought less would result in paler colour. Not so. I am amazed how little acid dye it takes to dye a hank. Purple took only 2g. Abstraction is a mix of blue, purple, turquoise, red, yellow and black. The strength of turquoise was clearly too strong as it doesn't look like turquoise at all. There is purple in the hank, for some reason it won't pick up with the camera. I even went out into sunlight and it still looked blue in the taken picture. ABSTRACTION is 80% merino 20% Bamboo, PURPLE is 70% wool, 15% Bamboo and 15% silk. All the others are 75% wool 25% nylon.

11 comments:

Elaine said...

Colin,

I told you it was addicting. I am a mad scientist when I dye yarn, never know what I will come up with, never a plan.

Love always,
Elaine

Iris said...

You are quite prolific these days. I like them all. Although the turquoise doesn't look like turquoise, I like the kind of dusky color it presents. I think it makes the hand look quite masculine.

tinebeest said...

I love those colour combinations! I'm looking forward to see how they knit up :-)

P. Harper said...

Very interesting dye jobs, Colin!
And I do see the purple in Abstract.
It's on the right end in the pic, between the yellow and white.

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

Oh you are having way too much fun dyeing sutff!!!! I am so glad you discovered it!!! They are all beautuiful as you are! Love Marion

Yarnhog said...

Cool pics. My camera doesn't capture color well, either, especially if there is red involved (as with purple).

LizzieK8 said...

They are beautiful! It almost makes you want a sock knitting machine, doesn't it, so you can see what they all look like knitting up RIGHT NOW?
Looking forward to seeing these knitted up and more dyeing adventures!

BammerKT said...

You have been assimilated. Congratulations. They're fabulous!

Linda C. said...

Fabulous, as usual. And I loved your open letter to the dogs. We had a 6-pound Pek-a-poo that weighed at least 40 pounds when she got on the bed.

Had some friends visiting my house once, and one of them came and hissed in my ear, "That big dog of yours is licking itself." I said, "Ida, you've never had a dog, have you?" Surprise, Surprise!

picperfic said...

wow...you got some amazing colours there Colin. Can't wait to see the next batch lol

Mickey said...

Your dyeing is wonderful and I am quite impressed with the food color dyeing and kool aid dyeing. You got really clear , dark colors. Kudos on a job well done.
Did really, really enjoy the canine conversations as well.