Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Gute Fahrt


Our journey was excellent. The drive to our first stop in Dinant, Belgium was pleasant and enough driving for that day as we had left our home at 5am. The Hotel was in a forest which involved us driving for several miles along a single track road which was a bit hairy. We met another vehicle, a 4WD (SUV) and it kindly backed up for half a mile for us! The hotel was very nice but had I realised it's situation, I would not have booked it. Certainly no good for longer than a night's stay for us.
We arrived the following day, Monday, at our hotel in Mannheim and we went directly to Sandhausen to our friend's Lia and Lui where Jane had come to from Holland . (Jane and Lia are sock knitters and that is how I met them - on Socknitters). It was Lui's 67th birthday and I had brought a cashmere sweater I made for him. He was pleased with it. He had cooked us a good meal of lamb and veggies. Lui does great food!

On Tuesday it rained mostly but that didn't matter as we had already planned to spend the day in Globus, which is a big hypermarket. Heaven if you enjoy shopping.

Wednesday we all, minus Lui, went to Strasbourg. We had good food. The city is not the best I have been to and the cathedral was over touristed.


Lia and John in Strasbourg.
Jane in Strasbourg.

All of us in Strasbourg, with Lia and I not looking our best!
John, Lui and I at Lia and Lui's home in Sandhausen.

3 comments:

Lia Nord said...

Your pictures came out great! (And you looked good in all of them--I almost never like my own!) I can't believe how good the photos of the statues on the cathedral are--it was so dark, but the photos show everything beautifully.
Lui was more than "pleased" with your sweater--he is positively overcome by it! It's so beautiful and soft, and he's completely thrilled. Thank you!

CP Warner said...

Colin, what do you mean, not looking your best? I think that's a lovely photo of you, with the nice hat and colorful vest. You look dapper as always!

So glad you had a good trip and enjoyable visit with your friends.

Nice to see your photos, too. The statuary in that cathedral looks amazing.

Welcome back!

Unknown said...

Just for the record, I love the way you dress. LOL You are me, but in a man's body (well actually, you are the me, I desire to be). I am also VERY jealous that you can head off to other countries with just a few hours driving where I would have to pay exorbitant amounts of money to fly with a passport to visit anyplace you go. Therefore, I think I shall live vicariously through you.

I've only had the opportunity to go to England and Scotland. Germany is high on my list but I don't know that I will ever get there.