Friday, May 20, 2011

THE KID

I watched a film last night called The Kid.  I almost turned it off within the first few minutes when I realised what the subject was going to be.

This is the true story of the successful author Kevin Lewis.  It was a very moving film.  Extremely well acted.  And it was brutal.  I defy anyone to watch this film and not see the miracle in those of us who have survived childhood abuse intact.

Kevin’s life was very different to mine.  The fear was the same and the school nightmare was the same. 

I did not have disturbed dreams last night.  I had no flashbacks. what the film left me with was a feeling of awe and wonder at the life that I have today.

I do not want to romanticise this at all. People like Kevin and myself did survive to become decent positive people.  Far far more did not survive. Many did not survive physically and many of those that did did not survive emotionally and mentally or spiritually.  I do not know why.

I do think this is the very first time I have watched such a film and been left with such a positive feeling.

I think also I perhaps have seen a glimpse of how remarkable my own recovery has been.  The film brought to mind how I used to be.  The me I am now is so completely different.  And I am awestruck.

5 comments:

Iris said...

What an endorsement. I think I shall have to rent this movie, even though I tend to stay away from movies of emotional angst. I am always ready to cheer for the true survivors. I, recently, watched a film called "A Winter's Bone" that describes almost exactly what life in the Appalachian Mountains is like for those who are a part of the mountain culture. It's both sad, frightening and uplifting at the same time.

Biki Honko said...

It's a very good sign indeed that this film didnt cause you to experience flashbacks and depression. I'm still not to the point where I can watch, or read either books about childhood abuse, it leaves me with nightmares and weeks of depression. So good-o to you!

Saw your link on the sock knitting group, read around a bit, liked what i read. Nice to get to know a new blogger, and I hope you dont mind that i added you to my blogroll

Anita said...

I am so glad that you are able to feel this way now.

janalee said...

"I defy anyone to watch this film and not see the miracle in those of us who have survived childhood abuse intact."
and
"The film brought to mind how I used to be. The me I am now is so completely different. And I am awestruck."

I just want to say YES. THIS.
Thank you for sharing your suffering, and your recovery, here.

FuguesStateKnits said...

You SHOULD be awestruck! You are an awesome human being, my friend:)
Much love,
J