Tuesday, November 16, 2010

STRANGE TIMES

It has been a hectic few days.

Edna had her puppies yesterday.  I had been sitting with her since Sunday morning when it became clear that she was in the early stages of labour.  I took her to the vet yesterday morning because I was concerned that despite her pushing for just over an hour nothing have appeared and nothing looked like it was going to.  To cut a long story short the poor thing had four oversized puppies. thanks to the expertise of the vet nurse Lauren and the vet Cere, she did not need a Caesarean section.  Between them they were able to manipulate the puppies out.  Each was 10 ounces. We have two black boys and one brindle boy. The fourth puppy was a black girl but she just took far too long after the birth of the first three and she did not make it.  Edna and her three sons are doing very well and you would never know that she had had such an ordeal.  I wonder how on earth those puppies got so big especially as for the last two weeks of her pregnancy she didn’t eat much.

I had entered Whitney for a show that I really wanted to go to.  Unfortunately, this show fell at the same time Edna’s puppies were due.  However, Wendy Cain came to the rescue by offering to show Whitney for me.  I was very surprised that anyone would put themselves out to do this and I accepted.  Wendy showed her really well and Whitney one her 10th CC and went on to win Best In Show.

Whitney and I have received many congratulations for her win but strangely not from close friends.  I find people very strange.

They say you find out  who your real friends are when life is very difficult. I would say you also find out who your friends are when you are very successful!

 

13 comments:

Penelope Grey said...

Congratulations on the puppies Colin, and good news that Edna and the three remaining puppies are doing so well. Congratulations also on the dog show win, how nice of your friend to offer to show her for you. True friendship indeed. Beverley

marilyn said...

Hi Colin-congratulations!
I've just read your blog-so these are belated!
Speak soon
Marilyn xx

Linda said...

Cheers to Edna for her big bruisers and congrats on Whitney's CC and BIS! I was thinking that since showing was such a challenge for you these days that you might want to find somebody to help you out with it. How nice that your friend offered and did such a great job.

Unknown said...

Linda-I only didn't attend myself because the litter was due. I certainly didn't expect someone else would so was thrilled when Wendy offered.

joannamauselina said...

Congratulations all round! Whitney stars again, and three new little stars appear.

AR said...

Hello Colin,

Well done to Edna on the birth of her boys.
Congrats to Whitney once again.
And, a BIG thank you to Wendy for being a lovely friend to you. There are so few like her about, definitely a keeper. :-)

Take care

Ann

Linda said...

I understood that for this show but you have mentioned in the past that sometimes showing takes a lot out of you. I'm happy you were feeling well enough to go this time and it was just the stork who got in the way.

Unknown said...

Hi Linda-yes it does but you know me - stubborn! Will always do it myself even if I have to do from my little electric chair! ;-)

Annick said...

Felicitations, congratulations Colin for Edna and also for Whitney's success. perhaps that your close friends are so used to your success in show dogs that they don't even think of congratulating you ?

Iris said...

Congratulations all around, Colin. What a wonderful friend you have, not to mention a competent one. Good friends are hard to find. Somehow, I became behind on reading your blog.

Yarnhog said...

Congratulations to Edna and Whitney!

I wonder if the puppies were so big because there were only four of them? I once had a dog that gave birth to only one puppy, but it was huge.

janalee said...

Congratulations on the puppies-I was sorry to hear that one didn't make it, but so glad that the three boys and their mama are doing well.
Go Whitney! CC and BIS! And what a wonderful friend Wendy is to show her for you.
Janalee

Margie said...

Personally I think it's great that you and Whitney have such a great track record in shows. My friend, Jay, is able to watch the competitions on cable, here in the US, sometimes and he is also very impressed!

Best wishes,

Margie1802