Friday, July 23, 2010

CATS

I had a terrible day yesterday regarding pain.  However, I have woken up feeling much better today.

Dog people have always warned that when one becomes successful, people will be nasty.  I have not experienced much of this. One 'friend' was clearly jealous and our friendship is all but over.  Now she is causing trouble, with regard to Whitney's father.  So sad.  I am not overly concerned because I kept my distance from this person.  When it became apparent to me what she was like.  Whenever we spoke, she always slagged off other people including her friends.  When a person does that, you can be fairly certain that they are doing the same to you.  The only other bits of nastiness that I'm aware of is some woman who was overheard telling other people that my disease was all put on for sympathy.  As I said, when I mentioned this before, my play for sympathy, cost me an awful lot of money and a lot of inconvenience!  I must be an effing good actor, as I am prescribed heavy-duty painkillers like tramadol and morphine!

Jealousy, I do not understand.  I understand envy.  To me, envy is about aspiration, where as jealousy is about destruction.  At least this is how I view it.

Recently I have not found acceptance so readily available to me. Much to my chagrin, I have found that going and doing a talk and demonstration leaves me shattered the next day.  Just like a dog show does.

The pain of my disease causes I can cope with its never really been that much of a problem.  I am good at ignoring pain, and now of course I have medication when it gets too much and I can't ignore it. On the other hand, fatigue is not something one can do anything about.  It just is, one has to ride it through.  I find this very frustrating.  It also makes me feel old before my time.I do not like being able to do what I want to do and when I want to do it.  I also do not always take into consideration.  This part of my disease and John often has to point out that I have agreed to do too much.  I had a phone call just the other day, reminding me of a booking I had for a talk and demonstration which I have agreed to do the day after a dog show.  I apologise profusely to the person and said that I would not be able to attend.  Because I have worked there before, they understood completely and she also understood my reluctance to accept that it was beyond my capabilities.  No harm done , and I guess this means I am just getting better at accepting my limitations.

I am thankful that I can still swim.  Swimming is very important.  Not only does it help with stress, it keeps my weight down, and most importantly, it keeps me mobile.  The longer I can keep up swimming,  the longer I can stave off the worst.

It also annoys me that I cannot write about my disease and the difficulties it causes me without feeling like I am moaning and making a fuss about nothing. It makes me feel guilty.  A part of me believes I should keep a stiff upper lip and not talk about such things.  There are people far worse off than me etc etc etc

My dyeing has been going well and the selling of my hand-painted yarns has also been going very well.  I really enjoy the dyeing.  It is very satisfying and it is also exciting.  When I prepare to dye, I have no idea what I am going to produce.  That is one of the most exciting things about it.  Actually, it is the most exciting thing about it!  I also get a kick out of mixing up my own colours.  I am not afraid to try new combinations.  I'm also not afraid to see what happens if I'd put this dye in that dye.  I have produced some lovely unique colours this way.
I often mix dyes when I have little amounts left rather than throw away.

I have been up since 5:30 AM as I have to be in bed very early this evening because I have Leeds championship show tomorrow.  I am looking forward to it.  I have sorted out my outfit which is built around a wine coloured frock coat.  I may be able to have a picture of me dressed up later on today.

6 comments:

Knitting-twitter said...

good morning, no, I don't think,you are moaning at all. You are talking and I am sure, helping a lot of people which also have health problems. To me, you talk about it- as facts, this is how it is and you are trying to make the best out of it.
Of course, there are people seeing what you are doing which they can't because most of them don't have a nice hobby, are to lazy to do something and find pleasure in putting down other peoples work, specially when these people are successful.. its for many people the only hobby they have - put other's people work down instead of looking into the mirror and say.. hey, if he can do it, maybe I should also try something..
a great day from rainy Switzerland Christa

Herzblut said...

cats?

alex

Mary Beth said...

Spoons, when they're gone, they're gone. Glad you said "no" to demo after dog show and they understood. Hey, "no" is one of the hardest words to learn (no?) LOL. Who knows what goes on in people's minds? To error is Human, to forgive is Canine!

Momsterjo's Musings said...

I agree with Knitting-twitter. You aren't moaning and in fact, "hearing" how you're coping with your pain and health problems, has if you pardon the expression, "kicked me in the butt" to get moving and stop whining. I have severe arthritis in a knee and it likes to be a world wrestler every now and again (it throws me on the ground)however, mobility, exercise and common sense plus knowing (from you) that in doing these things, I can cope better when it does throw me and feel better when I move around.

As for the other so called "friends" if I ever got into trouble, my true friends wouldn't bail be out of jail. They'd be sitting right beside me saying "wooo hoooo...let's do it again!

Jo

anachronist said...

I agree with everything that was said already.

As a non native speaker, it is hard to grasp the idea what the difference between jealousy and envy is.

I think, in German, there only is "Eifersucht".

It is hard to feel ones limitations, and having the knowledge, that once you have overdone, you will have to put in a recovery phase to reload the batteries.
So one wise thing is to pace oneself.
You are doing exactly that in cancelling a straining appointment right the day after another one of those straining but fun activities.

Hope, all went well at the show and you have had a "hang around, do nothing" day today.

Anonymous said...

NO! You are not moaning...It is good for a friend to talk about how he/she is doing...you are communicating with us (friends). I know what you are going through, as I have a terminal illness also, but hey...life is terminal if you think about it! I think you are making the best of a bad situation, you are a strong man... Anyway, keep up your swimming and take care, I will keep you in my prayers :)