Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Big Brother

I can't believe I am going to say something about this, let alone that I have watched it!

I can't recall the last time I felt this angry. I am angry over the appallingly cruel treatment of Shahbaz, especially by Richard.

What Richard did was downright cruel and evil. It was apparent Richard did not like Sahbaz from the moment Richard walked into the house. I suspected it was because Shahbaz was so camp. Even tho Richard himself is gay and also camp, his problem with Shahbaz was plain to see.

Yes, Shahbaz was difficult but he was not mean or malicious. He just doesn't understand about boundaries and stuff. He has issues he very much needs to deal with. However, this was no excuse at all for the cruelty shown to him. Richard's idea of the group ignoring Shahbaz and refusing to acknowledge him was cruel. Very cruel. It showed Richard to be a nasty human being when he feels threatened. The rest of the group were like sheep, just following. Not one of them seemed to have any insight whatsover.

In the diary room Richard confirmed my suspicions - he went on about how much he disliked Shahbaz and how he hated the idea that people would think that Richard, also being gay, was like Shahbaz and that he wanted Shahbaz out because he did not want people to think all gay people were like Shahbaz. Richard's own internalized homophobia is what made him act so cruelly. It didn't seem to cross his mind that the rest of us may not wish 'people' to think gay people were like Richard!

Perhaps this whole thing was a set up and an act. If not, I think the makers of this program should have been much careful of their choices of housemates. I fear for Shahbaz now and wonder how he will deal with this and only hope he can get the help he needs to deal with this past.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I don't watch it Colin but when Richard and Judy is on it is interesting to hear their opinions.I like your analysis though it sounds very insightful .That darned bullying mentality which when it gets very bad can be so like the Nazis....I heard recently that one of them whilst pretending to despise what he called decadent art in fact stole Klimt's works .If you understand what I'm trying to say ..not as good at explaining myself as you.Angie.

Anonymous said...

I was surprised to find myself watching the rerun this morning Colin. After the first night I was very put off by what seemed to be a gathering of self-styled eccentrics - except for Shahbaz, who seemed odd but vulnerable. As it has proved. All that first night drama soon evaporates and I am relieved that Pete has calmed down and seems a good bloke, also Nicky isn't quite as iron-flat shallow as she appeared, but it is tragic and my absolute biggest fear and abhorrence, when groups act amoebically and bully their weakest member. No-one can be themselves under that pressure and I think Shahbaz is well out of it. I hope he will find comfort and solace outside. And I hope Richard one day gains self awareness. that would be his worst punishment.