Sunday, November 30, 2008

York Photographs











These are views of York Minster. The stained glass is form the 1300's. The building itself has been redone several times over almost 2000 yrs, originally built on top of a Roman building, around 100 a.d. I love to see these buildings. The art work is astounding and one is awestruck by how they managed to build them without any modern machinery or measuring devices.

I do not however feel any sense of spirituality in these places-they are cold and I can almost hear the screams of those burned and tortured and butchered in the name of the religions these buildings stand for and the suffering these belief systems still cause today.


This building has been both Protestant and Catholic, but Protestant now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful building. It IS truly amazing what can be done without modern technology. Yes, we get there faster, but at what price?

Lovely photography. You are my eyes into England.

Nan said...

Thank you so much for posting these pictures. Just lovely.

I hope that I can see it for myself some day.

Liz said...

Sensational pictures, Colin! My dad was English, and I'm still hoping to get over there to see where his family lived. In the meantime, I cherish pictures, especially such well done pictures.

I see you stopped by my blog--thanks for the comment!

joannamauselina said...

Those are wonderful pictures! I hadn't really ever wondered about the folks working on the cathedrals not having equipment. I just took it all for granted. Now, with this new thought, they are even more amazing.