Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Alive and Well

I had an email and telephone call to see if I was alright because I have not blogged since last Wednesday. I hadn't realised it was so long.

On Saturday I went the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham(95 miles away) to volunteer on the UK Handknitters Association stand.

Fred, who asked me, was very helpful to me in that he helped me to and from my car. Had I jot gone in my wheelchair, I'd have been in trouble. It was very crowded and in minutes I'd have fallen over if I had just used my sticks.

During the day, especially at lunchtime, Amanda guided me around. She walked behind my chair, not pushing me, and went 'beep beep' in a loud voice whenever we got stuck.

I really had a very good day. I taught three people to knit and one to crochet. One of the people was a big burly man who I at first thought was going to be trouble when I saw him approach. I was wrong. he wanted to learn to knit. He has huge hands! He wanted to have something to help him relax. So I taught him.

I was very surprised to learn that I was a patient teacher. No trying to be either. I just was. I didn't get riled at all and didn't think 'idiot' once! I really am surprised I could do it without feeling frustrated.

I did, of course, buy some sock yarn but only 6 balls. All were of the new Regia Kaffe Fasset range. I also bought some darning needles which had bent ends. They are excellent for sewing.

I came very close to sticking my foot in it. One of the women I helped mentioned that she home schooled. I was surprised and said I know it is very popular in the USA but not so here. I almost said it was popular with religious nutters. I didn't. Guess what? She was a religious nutter! And I said not a word about it. I did not have a go at her and tell her she was abusing her children. I just let it go. Maybe I am coming down with something?

8 comments:

fairy godmother said...

Glad to see a new post! Sounds like you had a good time teaching people to knit. :-)

Anonymous said...

Maybe you just decided it made no sense to beat your head against a brick wall??? I always want to ask what will happen when the kids finally get out of the house and find out there's a REAL world out there. You can't keep them isolated forever. If your reason to home school is to keep them from the "infidels," you will surely fail in your mission!!!

I'm glad you had a good time. It seems lots more men are learning to knit these days. I saw a cross country truck driver knitting in a truck stop a couple weeks ago. Even the other truckers seemed to take it in stride.

jan said...

hi knitman
thanks for your comments on my kitties-I think they own me!!
my sister has two german shepherds and seven cats,one of the shepherds has terminal cancer ans we are all sad as she is so young
am printing out your instructions for kniitng shaping I hope tha is ok ,oh and yes I was at the nec on thursday -the hobby show and saturday at the classic car show,tke care ,jane from the machine knitting list

kshotz said...

Sounds like a fun trip! It never ceases to amaze me the wide variety of people who knit/crochet. It seems to defy any and all categories/labels. I'm glad teaching turned out to be an enjoyable experience!

The Kaffe Fasset yarn is really lovely! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Kim in IA

Suna Kendall said...

Colin, I, too, find that I have a lot more patience teaching knitting than in other things. I realize everyone's going to learn differently, but with all my experience, I am confident they will all learn!

It does sound like you had a great time. And I have a lot of experience shutting up around home schoolers. It helps that I do know a few who have done a good job of it, I guess. But some...yow.

Anonymous said...

BEEP BEEP! Grin... Was really nice to meet you. Hope you can come help again.

FuguesStateKnits said...

Oh dear, Colin - are you feeling alright????
KIDDING!!!
:)
Joan

Yarnhog said...

I was knitting at my kids' school one day and an older lady approached me and told me her husband "does that sometimes". She said he learned to knit "during the war" and that lots of other soldiers did, too. I didn't ask which war. :)