Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Alpaca Finished

To recap, this is made from 100% Alpaca, Drops by Garnstudio.

I used 4mm needles for the body with the yarn doubled. I used 3mm needles for the 4x4 ribbing. I used ADDI turbo circulars. The garment weighs 980 grams or 2lb 3 oz's.

The design is my own. Very simple. I knit the body up to the colour change in the round. The sleeves were also knit in the round using the Magic Loop method. I picked up along armhole and knit down.

I knit the cuffs separately as I cannot abide cast off edges. I used my own way of doing a three needle cast off. I have two needles side by side, right sides of garment facing each other. I then use a 3rd thinner needle to take off one stitch from each needle onto the 3rd needle. I then slip one st over the other. Once this is done, I use a much larger needle (6mm) to cast off in the usual way. I do shoulders in the same way. In fact, I use this any time I need to join, like on arm bands or cardigan front bands.

This sweater was one of the easiest to knit and one of my favourites. I 'made it up' as I went along. I had cast on and started to knit it in the round, with no idea where I would be going with it. I am pleased with the direction it took. The tension was 22sts and 37 rows to 10cm.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your alpaca jumper. I'm new to this group and didn't realise
that you did hand knitting as well as machine. When I looked at the
jumper before it was finished I wondered 'what machine gave such a
lovely effect.' No end to your talents eh :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Colin, it is beautiful as usual, but what IS the magic loop method? I saw (going down) that
picture of the sleeve, where you say that "magic loop" is just knitting in the circular, is it all
there is to it?

Anonymous said...

Your sweater is beautiful.

Glenda

Anonymous said...

hi Colin -

another beautiful sweater! I really love the collar.

Judith

Anonymous said...

Lovely jumper Colin. You are very talented !

Heather

Anonymous said...

Collin\
Your sweater came out great as always. I like the collar you did on this
one.

zekezac said...

I absolutly love the neck on this sweater. Where did you get the pattern.

Anonymous said...

Colin, the color you chose is beautiful as well as
your knitting. It seems you are are a very fast hand
knitter. How long did this aran sweater take to knit?

Anonymous said...

I really like how that alpaca sweater turned out. It just looks so
comfortable.just enough texture to be interesting.



How did your Dr. appt go. Sounds scary.

Sheri said...

Colin, thanks for the information. It is a beautiful sweater and that it came out of your imagination makes it that much better.

UniquelymeNana said...

Colin,

This is beautiful and I love your colour choice as well. Outsanding job!!

cindy said...

I really love the collar and the choice of dark and light yarn. Pity it sheds!

junie said...

This is a GREAT looking sweater Colin. I don't know what to make of the shedding. I've never had that happen with alpaca. I have used all sorts of the stuff except the kind in this sweater. It sounds as if there is a bit of angora blended in, perhaps for softness. Anything with bunny fur seems to shed, However,it is so cuddly, it is hard to resist.

The sweater is really lovely. Wear it anyway.

Yarnhog said...

I really like this! The collar is especially nice. Maybe I can talk my husband into trying one like this (he always wants boring crew necks).

Lily said...

Love Your sweater. I really do. Very manly, and also lovely. Love the design , colors, and work too. Of course I share others loving your collar . You should make a tutorial how did you make this lovely collar.