Thursday, June 17, 2010

COMPREHENSION?

Blogger Vicki Designs (Schnorkiemom) said...

Isn't this putting an entire group of people in one box? I'm Christian but, can assure you I'm not sexually attracted to my own sex. If you are comfortable in your own skin, why must you attack others and constantly be on the defensive. What did Sarah Palin ever do to you? I used to follow your blog quite religiously and enjoyed your posts and was saddened by your illness and the hardships it presents. Lately, it's just a platform to flame and I'm sorry to say I can't take the negativity. I know this won't be posted, but I just thought you should know how I feel and I know I am not alone.

3:42 PM, June 17, 2010

Delete

It would help if people understood what they have read before they vent their spite. Though I must say Vicki’s comment is mild compared to some of the hate mail I get.

Now, Vicki, Ms Palin, and others who create an atmosphere of hate toward gays are simple responsible for every hate crime towards us, even if they do not weild a physical weapon.

IF as Xtians, and Ms Palin, reckon we CHOOSE our sexuality, then we are ALL bisexual. Too difficult for Ms Vicki to grasp.

If as Vicki says she was an avid reader of this blog, then 1. she would know I don’t care about plonkers 2. she’d understand my point 3. she’d know her little fit, compared to the real life abuse I experience is nothing but a blip! 4. Why do Xtian such as she not see the hate behind their self-righteousness? It is really sad that fear stops these people from being their real loving selves.

Oh, and if you had read and understood, you’d know I would publish your comment. I publish ALL of them except those that are foul languaged and those that describe how they would like to see me die. Those are pointless.

Vicki, if you were not so self centred you might have a chance of understanding another human being instead of prejudging according to your belief system as your comment shows you have. It is clear it prevented you understanding what I wrote. I’d like to add that you failure to understand the harm people like Palin and others of her thinking do to me and others is typical of a person whose mind is enslaved to an idea.

Spank me!

7 comments:

Missy said...

I can sum it up in two words.. Religious blindness.

Many extremely devout Christians cannot see past their nose to spite their face (so to speak).

And I always go by the old adage, those that are the most guilty yell the loudest first.

I did not see you lump all us Christians in to one category. You spoke of the TYPE of Christians, SUCH AS Sarah Palin (who I loathe to an extreme)...Even this (kinda) blond knew who you were speaking of. (=

Iris said...

Indeed! Blindness, thy name is Christian (and Muslim and Scientologist and Mormon and every other organized religion, it seems). Not to see the damage religion does to so many is built into the doctrine. As far as folks of this ilk not wishing to follow your blog, who cares? By the way, she needs to remember that it's YOUR blog and you can say what you want within the legal guidelines. If Barbie Doll Palin can stand around and spout her vitreolic babble, we can certainly counter it. As far as what she's done to you (or me or so many), she has attempted to insert her own brand of hateful beliefs into our lives.

Knitterman said...

wow.... I'm not surprised by Ms. Vicki's comments, although clearly she is quite wrong.

Obviously, most of us know some exceedingly compassionate, loving, generous, and gentle Christians (and Muslims, Jews, etc.). But when other people heap on the abuse in the name of their God it becomes a mark against all those who carry that banner, whether rightly or wrongly.

When the public voice of mainstream Christianity is one of condemnation, it is understandable that Christians as a group are held in suspicion and kept at a distance.

Heather W. Torrance said...

Hi Colin,

To be fair, you should probably pick on other religions, too, not just Christianity. Islam is also very anti-homosexual, as are traditional Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism...really, nearly all of them. Obviously Christianity has been the most damaging to you personally, but for the sake of homosexuals in countries where it is literally a death sentence to be out, perhaps you could speak out for them and pick on those religions.

As for the reactions you get from Christians...well, I understand the people who are offended that you lump them all into one group. But, more than that, I think they should be understanding of you. If they're tolerant, they need to be louder about it. They need to denounce other Christians who are intolerant towards homosexuals, instead of denouncing gays who've had to put up with bad treatment they're whole lives and are understandably burned by it.

I don't agree that all Christians are fundies. There are plenty of liberal Christians out there - whole denominations of them, in fact, as well as significant movements within many of the large churches, such as the Methodist and Episcopal churches. But they are fighting a rabid opposition, they're outnubered, and frankly, a lot of pro-gay people are also anti-religion, so they don't have as much support as they could. So maybe instead of attacking Christians, you should just attack fundies of all faiths, and find some common ground with the liberals in the faith who are on your side.

Best,

Heather

Unknown said...

Dear Heather-you missed the point too. I am very well aware of the type of people you speak of, two female friends are Priests and my excellent Dr is also a Xtian.They are not the evil kind. The Dalai Lama, the leader of Tibetan Buddhists is not anti gay. I don't think Buddhism has a doctrine of hate toward us.
People like Pailin et al pretend to speak for ALL Xtians because if uou don't agree, then you are not one, in their eyes. The email printed previously from Joyce is the kind of evil I am writing about and if people truly did read my blog, they'd know my position, and it is not one of blindness to other faiths or to people who have faith, like me, but who are not fundy. There are haters without faith too. There is much to be offended about and I'd have been happier that you were offended by the Vicki's comment rather than what you perceived me to think. I am in agreement with you: Islam, Judaisim, and Xtains and others all preach hatred of us and in some countries we are killed in the name of God. In the UK and the USA we are killed in the name of hate fuelled by religious hatred of us.

LizzieK8 said...

Spank Me! BWhahahahahahahahahaha!

Great reply to Ms Vicki.

She may be right it's not fair to lump all of a group into the same category, but, OTOH, Christians seem to do it all the time. It appears that's how they can hate so much. It's a group, not a person.

If people don't want others to think Sarah Palin speaks for them, they need to stand up and shout it when she makes her stupid statements. Denouncing these politicians/public speakers for their hate mongering is the only way to shut them up and convince us they don't speak for everyone lumped in their group.

TracyKM said...

My MIL is quite religious, in a quiet sort of English-Canadian way. Her eldest son is gay. While this is a topic not to be discussed out loud at family gatherings much, she doesn't appear to be for or against.
I was surprised last weekend though. The city has a weeklong cultural festival ("Fiesta") which gets started with a parade. Now, all the pavillions are clubhouses for different countries/cultures ("Club Loreley" is the German clubhouse, etc), and put on shows and sell meals, and are represented during the parade. Also in the parade are service clubs and bands. This year, one of the clubs in the parade was a gay social group that were doing a flag routine. My MIL was smiling, clapping, and just said "Whatever appeals to you!".
I know my MIL is not the only religious person who is supportive of homosexuality. It's really too bad that those who are so closed minded, in the name of the bible, can't realize that it is possible to love everyone. Or, at least, not hate them.