Monday, October 11, 2010

NECHUNG 06/12/1997 – 11/10/2010

nechungabc Nechung 18 12 09

NECHUNG DE KOEMPFER WITH TANTRA (IMPORTED FRANCE)

Nechung came to live with us in December of 2003.  She had been used to living in kennels but she settled into living in our house from the first day.  She did pee on the floor and I yelled no at her which she clearly did not like, and she ran outside into the garden.  She never did anything in the house again.

She produced me to puppies that I kept to show, Tantra’s Moonlight Serenade and her brother Tantra’s Micah.  Both did very well in the show ring although neither were quite up to the champion mark. Micah was the father of Shameless who in turn is the mother of Carly and Mary Grace.  Carly may be pregnant. She produced champions on the continent, at least one of which is a multi-best in show champion male.

Nechung spent each night sleeping on our bed.  I had to start wearing earplugs because she snored very loudly.  In typical Apso fashion she was highly independent and although she was pleased to see me when I came home from being out she was not a very demonstrative dog.  Except with John.  She decided that he was hers and when he wasn’t at home she slept on his armchair until it was time to go up to bed where she slept on his side of the bed.  If she knew that I was going to groom her or bathe her and John was home she would immediately go and lay behind his legs or jump on his lap!

Last December I took her to the vet because I was concerned about her health.  Firstly she had a lump on her shoulder and secondly I wondered if dogs got Alzheimer’s disease because she certainly had started to behave as if she wasn’t quite all there.  I knew that she was not blind or deaf. 

She also got it into her head that we ought to go to bed at 10 o’clock every night.  When 10 o’clock came she would go to the foot of the stairs and do a sort of more moaning sound.  She would then come back into the lounge look at us and moan again and then she would go back to the foot of the stairs.  She would do this until we went to bed.  If we opened the stair gate she would go off up to bed on her own but if we didn’t follow soon afterwards she would come back down and moan.  I kept telling her I did not need another mother!

My vet confirmed that indeed dogs do go senile and that the lump on her shoulder was a tumour and that she could feel smaller ones in her mammaries.  The ones in her mammaries never did grow but the tumour on her shoulder did.  Recently it got very much bigger.

Yesterday I decided was the day that I needed to bathe her and clip her coat off again. I was not looking forward to doing this as the last time I had done it she was not very cooperative.  This time it was a pretty awful experience for us both.  She clearly was distressed by it but I had no choice but continue what she was wet.  It was one she was wet that I noticed that not only was her tumour very much bigger but that it was now black and purple with some scabbing and as I bathed her I noticed some fresh blood.

  I spoke with our vets last evening and I took so long this morning knowing that I would not be bringing home.  My vet confirmed my fear that the tumour, a vascular tumour, was likely to burst and this would be extremely painful for Nechung and she would likely bleed to death.  I could not allow this to happen and so we did what I knew we would do.

I found it a difficult decision to make not because I wanted to keep her with me but because of wondering whether I was doing the right thing or not.  I was very worried that I might be acting too soon and that she still had a good life left in her.  However, I do know that I have made the right decision now.  I could not have borne her suffering had the tumour burst.

Right up until this weekend she seemed a perfectly happy dog and certainly never appeared to be in pain.  She got very excited at mealtimes when she would run to her bed and if I hadn’t followed her with her food she run back and bark at me.  She even did this last night.  True, she often behaved as if she’d had a joint or two and a lot of the time appeared not to be with us at all.  Over this weekend she was very quiet and really didn’t seem to be bothered.

Lhasa Apso the are highly individual dogs.  Over the last 40 years none of those that I have kept have been like each other. They have all been their own characters.  Rumour has it that they house the souls of departed humans who are waiting to be reincarnated.  Having lived with them for this length of time this would not surprise me.

Nechung passed away at 11:25 this morning painlessly and at ease as I stroked her and spoke soothingly to her.  I wish we could all pass the same way and that the law did not insist that we must suffer.

33 comments:

Momsterjo's Musings said...

I am truly sorry for your loss. My heart is truly broken for you knowing how much I miss my companion Danae.

JO

Cindy/KS said...

I'm sorry Colin!

Deb said...

So sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like you did the best for Nechung, and I too would prefer to go this way if it comes to it. So long Nechung, keep snoring in Colin's dreams...

patsijean said...

I just hate this for you, Colin, but yes, you did the right thing for her. Dogs like for us to think that they are just fine, even when they aren't. I am so sorry.

karrol said...

We who love the most also hurt the most. My thoughts and prayers are for you today... nomatter how many we lose it never gets any easier.. our soft hearts always hurt .. but I can not imagain life with out my animals. so sorryu for your loss and Johns too.

Penelope Grey said...

Colin such sad news as it always is for anyone that passes, however she had a very good life with you. I would have to have done exactly the same thing as you did, watching an animal suffer when it is not necessary is quite cruel as often we hang on to them because we are the ones who cannot let go. At least she is out of pain now. Hugs to you Colin at this difficult time. Beverley xx

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful companionship.

Anonymous said...

Colin, please accept my sympathy. This is a difficult decision to make for the pets we love sooo much, but you had Nechung's best interest at heart. Peace to you, my fellow animal lover, knitter and "recover-er".

Lisa, Tennessee, USA

Denise said...

So sorry for your loss. All animals seem to become part of the family dont they?

Judi Seal said...

My sincerest condolences on your loss. It sounds as if you were lucky to have each other. Judi

deborah2001 said...

You took care of her and gave her a great life. She brought you joy, happiness and more love in the new puppies.

In the words of Alfred Lord Tennyson
'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

I believe this is true when it comes to dogs

Virginia said...

Colin, I am very sad for you - there will be a hole in your heart for quite some time. Please know that I am thinking of you and wishing Nechung peace.

FuguesStateKnits said...

So sorry Colin for your loss - and John's!

tinebeest said...

Sorry to hear this, Colin. You paint a vivid picture of this lovely dog in your post. You'll miss her telling you when to go to bed, and her snoring, I am sure.

Susan said...

My deepest sympathy to you and John. She was a vibrant part of your life for many years and of course she will be missed. It was her time and you acted in a manner that showed your love for her. We should all be so fortunate. Take care, Susan

picperfic said...

sad news Colin...hope you are ok

Iris said...

I'm sorry Nechung had to leave you. As you know, you were right to prevent her serious pain. My heart aches for you.

anachronist said...

...
I am So sorry, ...
burst blood vessles sure are very painful, and scary, you prevented her from having to experience such a thing. I think, it was the right decision.

Roz said...

Sorry you had to make that decision but it was definitely the right thing and I'm happy you were with her to the end. I agree...I also wish I could go that way.

Sheknits1@aol.com said...

You are in my thoughts Colin. I know the deep loss you are feeling. Just know you gave Nechung a good life and ended it with kindness and caring. I am so sorry she had to leave you and John.

Sandy in Pa.

Lol said...

Ah, I have tears in my eyes after reading that. What a wonderful life you have given her and what a wonderfully peaceful and loving death, you most certainly did the right thing. My thoughts are with you all.

Mary said...

I am so sorry for your loss. A member of your family has left you with nothing but the memories of the joy she brought. Your love and caring allowed that end to be peaceful.

Grannie said...

Why is it always so heartbreaking when we know we are doing the right thing for our beloved companions? The hardest decision we make is letting go. Remember her and love the memory, Colin, you are a special person.

Yarnhog said...

Bless you for keeping her from suffering and making her passage a peaceful and loving one. I'm sorry for your loss.

DonnaC said...

As a dog lover and owner of a great Portie named Lola my heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for your loss.

CP Warner said...

My condolences, Colin.

(((((hugs)))))

steel breeze said...

Sorry to hear it, Colin. Glad you were with her in the end.

FiaKnit said...

So sorry for your's and John's loss. Cyber hugs,
FiaKnit

Ann O'Donovan UK said...

So sad, but a brave and right decision made by you. May you have many happy memories of her to help you, John and the other dogs through these very sad moments in time. My thoughts are with you.x

janalee said...

I am so sorry to hear about Nechung's passing.
(hugs)
Janalee

junieann said...

Ah Colin:

I didn't know until today you lost her. God it is awful. And now, I am crying again, this time, for you and the pain that losing a best friend brings.

junie

HunterXan said...

Colin,

I've been remiss in that I've not been visiting any blogs for a while, so this is the first I've seen the post re Nechung.

My very heartfelt sympathies for your loss. I know she had a very happy, contented life with you and John. And that her passing was able to be peaceful and contented as well speaks volumes about your love for her.