Saturday, June 24, 2006

Stash




It really has got out of hand. I have so much yarn I'll never be able to knit it all.

It is so bad, that now even I think it is somewhat ridiculous.

I have stopped looking on the net at yarn. I have stopped going to my favourite yarn warehouse.I have stopped buying. Well....except for when we go away on holiday. Different country, different yarn. At least that is my reasoning. Visiting yarn places is better than sex-or it last longer anyway.

Even with my 15 machines, I have no hope of knitting all this yarn up. Not even if I knit a sweater a day for the next 20 years. That is 7,300 sweaters. I'd still have plenty left for maybe another few years or even another 20.

Now, I am knitting up more than I have been. I felt so daft when we discovered another two sacks of yarn under the stairs. I thought to myself, this really is toomuch yarn. I must knit it up as fast as I can so i can at least move around more easily upstairs. The bedroom that houses the yarn is full to bursting. I can't even get to most of it.

So......what to do other than knit as often as possible?

I had thought of maybe selling some of it. Or even giving some away to a worthy cause. Just writing that makes me feel ill. I'd find it easier to give my kidney away. Or maybe I could open a sweat shop and have 10 people knitting to my instructions 24/7? Okay, so maybe more like 100 people but then we are talking about a factory and I don't want to go there. Besides, they all have to be hand sewn. And I'd be so busy looking over everyone's shoulder that I'd have no time to knit myself whcih defeat the object. Plus, I think a week wouldn't pass before one or all of these people lynched me....

Now you needn't ask me what i doing. I am knitting. Knitting, knitting, knitting. What sort of life would it be without knitting? I'd be reduced to buying knitwear from Asda or TopShop or worse from some 'couture' boutique where the cost is mind boggling for the shoddy knitwear they sell. yes, shoddy. i wa sin a famous name boutique in Paris, a really well known designer, and it was all mass produced, badly put together crap.

Speaking of shoddy, did anyone notice the stripey sweater in Knitting this month? The girl sitting on the beach? HOW COULD THEY DO THAT!!!!! Those seams wandered more than the drunks at chucking out time. What is the point spending many hours and effort making something to then just cobble it together? Even worse than that, is how could a leading magazine photgraph the shoddy work for all to see? No wonder knitting has such a dowdy image.

5 comments:

Angie said...

You know Colin Boy George once said "A good cup of tea is better than sex" ...I laughed but only partially agreed.Now I am the grand age of 51 I agree to that but also with you ! I can't imagine not buying any yarn again so maybe you could sell some cones on E:Bay ? You could give some to charity because if you enjoy buying new yarn you should sometimes. It was a great post though I could identify with it .Angie

Karen said...

well my son thinks I am nuts and I want him to see how much you have. Oh I feel validated. I can't knit as well as you but I have yarn

Mary-Lou said...

Nice to see someone has so much more stash than I do :)

Anonymous said...

I always say you can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much yarn!

Shopping online for yarn is way too easy these days, and I never seem to be able to pass on a bargain.

I, too, will never knit all my yarn in this lifetime. My kids have already told me not to will it to them!

Anonymous said...

Your stash would be alot less scary if you tidied and organized a bit. Right now part of the fear this inspires is because it's sort of tossed all over the place. Also, it would be easier for you to find what you're looking for! I am afraid of my stash, too, so I put as much of it into clear plastic tubs as would fit,then put those on shelves inside of cabinets. Not real visible unless you know where to find it! Good luck.