Saturday, June 17, 2006

Flying Leap

Last Saturday, I was drying Micah after his bath. In the blink of an eye, he took a flying leap off the grooming table. How, I do not know as I had my hands on him at the time. Well, he landed with a loud crack and he started to scream. I went to pick him up and he ran off. Well, at least his leg is not broken, I thought. I managed to get him and calm him down. I checked him all over and he seemed okay, if somewhat shocked. Later, he looked up at me and I saw his lip looked odd opened his mouth and his jaw was lopsided!!!

So off to the vet we went. His jaw was not dislocated nor was it broken. He was very badly swollen and the vet said it was this swelling that was causing his bottom jaw to move off to the side, thus twisting his jaw.

By yesterday, all was back to normal, as regards his jaw. As for Micah-well he ate his evening meal as normal on the day he did this and has been as right as rain since. Dogs are so stoic. Thus injury must have been very sore to say the least.

Tomorrow I attend a small dog show with Moon. After a year, I have finally figured out how to move the dog for showing purposes whilst using my sticks. One stick actually, but still it works now.

I had given up on the idea-a mixture of pride and the fact it is so damn awkward! The more I thought about it, the more I realised that I could not go in the ring without my stick. If I fell over, that would be embarrassing and I would then need help to get up again. More importantly, if I fell, I could fall onto my dog or another's dog. So it was a case of swallowing my pride, and learning to show and use the stick. Like riding a bike, it suddenly fell into place and I can co-ordinate well now.



2 comments:

Angie said...

Glad to hear Micah is okay and good luck with the show .Angie and Holly.

Anonymous said...

Pride Schmide, get out there and strut your stuff, with whatever you need to do it. You know dog lovers - who is going to be looking at you!!!!! My eyes would be all on Moon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!