Tuesday, June 14, 2011

LIFE


These are flowers in my garden. I am impressed with the lens on my Sony Alpha. It's a SAM 30mm f2.8.

Today has been a good day. Sunny and warm all day. I have felt much better than I have of late. Thursday last I was on the brink of tears because of almost two weeks of severe fatigue and pain. Yet today one could almost believe I was well. I always think that, completely ignoring the fact I have taken 16 pills so far! ;-)

I watch Terry Pratchett's documentary about Assisted Dying. I was of course very moved by it. And frightened.

I am NOT frightened of assisted Dying. I am not frightened of death. I am frightened of those people who are determined to prevent this from being legal. Who are determined that I and others like me are condemned to a painful terrible death because THEY are frightened of death. Their excuse is that the vulnerable have to be protected. They say that if Assisted Dying were legal, we'd all start killing off the old and the disabled. Bollocks. Hasn't happened in Switzerland,Belgium, Oregon, Washington or the Netherlands. All of which allow assisted dying and euthanasia. One of the anti's was an atheist. No problem with that. I am not BUT i object very very strongly to the religious making these decisions based upon their particular fantasy. It holds no more validity than me basing my decisions upon what is written in Harry Potter novels, or any of the books of Enid frigging Blyton. It seems to me that the pro assisted dying/ euthanasia are ruled by compassion for human beings and the others by fear.

My doctor is a palliative care, pain, expert. She is also honest. About 30% of terminally people do NOT have their pain relieved. So the argument that no one need die in pain if taken care of is false.

I also found it very disturbing that one of the men who chose to die in this film had tried to take his own life. He swallowed 3 mths worth of morphine. He was unconscious for 5days but lived. Terrifying.

I am started to use my Facebook page to make daily videos. I did a Good Morning one just for a laugh but it seems people like them so I am doing more. I am Colin 'Knitman' Andersson on FB.

xoxo




5 comments:

Annick said...

Beautiful flowers. Your photos are wonderful.

Iris said...

Those ARE beautiful photos! As for the assisted dying -- I am NOT going to suffer for weeks or months or more in pain - period, no matter what those who are the "believers" think should happen to me. I do not share their beliefs and will not tolerate their dictatorship.

Anonymous said...

Love the flower pictures, Colin, you have such an eye for beauty.
Re the comment from your doctor on the reality of their ability (or lack of it) to ensure no-one dies in pain--- they cannot do much to relieve pain for many people who are fully conscious and able to say "it hurts Here"----how the h#ll do they think they can do so for someone who cannot express themselves due to dementia, or some horrible condition which leaves them unable to communicate easily?
Sorry to go on a a bit, the subject of pain is a bit of a sensitive one with me (in more ways than one)!
Oh, well, back to the Gabapentin and Paracetamol, (maximum dose of both) and back to the knitting, which is more effective than either; if only we could bottle its effect!
Wendy from Plymouth.

joannamauselina said...

Amazing flower pictures. Your garden, your camera, and your eye for beauty are fab!

Anonymous said...

Yet another comment on how gorgeous your flower pictures are. Your garden must be really beautiful! I love the way you find the beauty, and show it to us so well. One of the pictures almost brought tears to my eyes as I remembered a lady in our neighborhood who had roses like that - so very beautiful and she was too! She was very old at the time (80s, I think) and I was very young (6 or so) and I remember her giving me a "spray" of roses very much like the photo you showed. Thank you for bringing back a beautiful memory!!