Friday, November 11, 2005

SAD and Forgetful

This is Solo, now 8 weeks and 3 days old. He may be leaving home very soon.
Knitting-I am knitting a wasitcoat in a brown oiled wool I bought in Heidelberg. I am using 4mm needles and garter stitch. Using Addi Turbo Circulars and knitting it all in one piece, till I get to the arm holes. Obivoulsy, as this is a waistcoat, it is not joined and knit in the round!

On the machine, I have almost completed a navy blue ragaln, using 50% Merino, 25% cashmere, 25% silk yarn. 2/15's weight, used double knit on the Brother 940. I have used the garter carriage for the ribbing as I prefer the way the gc does the ribbing.

I forked out a fair bit of dosh for a SAD light. No the light is not sad, nor crap design. It is a light which simulates daylight so that one's pineal gland does what it would do if it were sunny - ie makes one feel alive again. At least that is what it is supposed to do. Independent research says it does. It gives out light at 10,000lux(very bright) and one sits in front of it so that the light gets to one's eyes and thus to one's pineal gland. This ought to prevent one from becoming a vegetable in winter which I am apt to do. My gp suggested I was a SAD sufferer and I must admit to thinking it was claptrap. However, my medical history does indeed show that over the last 30 years all my serious health issues, including hospitalizations, have occurred in winter and my hypo phases have occurred in the spring/summer. Last year was especially bad. Only my dogs kept me going. I got so bad I could barely move and my stutter came back. However, I still didn't think winter and lack of light had anything to do with it. Not so sure now. Hence the light. Oh, I could have moved to live within 30deg of the equator-the only known cure - but.......

Scans suggest I may be inundated with about 15 pups! Now that is 60 little boooties to knit! I shall be very busy in about 10 days time right thru to about March. Maybe I WILL move to the Equator ...or John will.

Simply Knitting arrived thru my letter box. This time the free gift was really useful for me - 2006 diary. My memory is appalling and I need to write things down - like my name or the dogs'- or I forget. Trouble is I also forget where I put my diary or I forget to read it. I asked John if he would put up an idiot baord next the fridge so I could write things up on it or rather stick post it notes on it for reminders. He just looked at me with that look on his face, as if to say 'poor thing' . At least that is my interpretation. It probaly means '' why the f**k am I still here?'. So he took me out to the kitchen and showed me the fridge. On the wall next to it is an idiot board and it has been there for almost 7 years....
I have been known to go out the house and get into my car still in my night shirt....or I have stood at my house front door pressing the button on my car key and wondering why the friggin door won't open!

I do a fair amount of public speaking. I always forget what I am talking about . People think it is part of my method. It isn't. I literally forget what I am talking about. And very frequently, well all the time really, I start to talk about one thing and just take a diversion onto something else and confuse myself. Again, it is thought to be part of my method and I get very good feedback and people say they get much out of my talks. Glad they do. I daren't ask them what they get tho cos I haven't a clue!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin, just a word to encourage you to use your newly acquired sad light. I lived inside the Arctic Circle in Norway where it is dark all day from now until the middle of January, and found my light invaluable. I was literally suicidal before I bought a light. Decided only yesterday to begin using it here too as the recent weather has been nothing short of depressing. Regards, Catherine

Mary-Lou said...

I definitely find that I am most depressed & lethargic between Christmas and when the clocks go forward again in spring - during that time I leave the house to go to work while it is still dark, and return home in the dark, my desk at work is furthest from the window, so no proper daylight for most of the day unless I go out at lunch-time. I've put a daylight bulb in the standard lamp over my chair, which seems to help quite a lot, may eventually graduate to a proper SAD light ... let us know how you get on with yours